Two Norfolk gastropubs named among best in the UK
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2019
Two Norfolk gastropubs, both famous for their roast dinners, have been named among the top 20 in the UK.
The Gunton Arms, near Cromer, and The Duck Inn, in Stanhoe, feature in the best gastropubs list by Big 7 Travel, which produces lifestyle content from across seven continents.
The Gunton Arms sits inside a 1,000 acre 18th century deer park and since opening in 2011 has gained a legion of fans for its restaurant, which includes an Elk Room where beef from Blickling and venison from the grounds are cooked over an open fire.
The head chef is Stuart Tattersall, who trained with Mark Hix, and it is owned by art dealer Ivor Braka, with the menu based around what is in season locally.
It is not just about the food, with an impressive drinks menu and bedrooms for those enjoying a getaway on the north Norfolk coast.
In the article, Big 7 Travel describe a gastropub as "a watering hole that can also compete with top restaurants when it comes to food".
You may also want to watch:
The Gunton Arms is praised for its roasts which have "droolworthy crackling and crispy spud, while a Bramley apple and almond tart with clotted cream is the perfect finish".
The top 20 also features The Duck Inn, which has been run by chef and patron Ben Handley and his wife Sarah since 2013, with Mr Handley's brother Sam as manager.
They have transformed the 18th century building into a dining destination and they were also named one of the UK's top 50 gastropubs by trade magazine the Morning Advertiser in 2018 and were a finalist in The Observer Food Awards 2019 for Best Sunday Lunch.
- 1 'Too close to home': Neighbours' shock as body found at Mousehold Heath
- 2 Which? warning to avoid sun cream brand for children
- 3 Poultry company owner says food industry is at 'crisis point'
- 4 Chicken restaurant closes 'due to unforeseen circumstances'
- 5 Lifeboat crew rescues three girls out to sea on lilos
- 6 Noise investigation launched after works leave houses 'tremoring'
- 7 What are the top 10 new shops opening in Norwich?
- 8 New beauty salon and massage rooms open at country club
- 9 'Like an invasion' - locals speak out over five-day festival
- 10 'Cold and desolate' - Anne Robinson's Countdown jibe at Norfolk
The description says: "The Duck Inn manages to elevate a meal that is so common and standard around the country to something that is other worldly. "It will have your taste buds thanking you for having walked into their pub.
"The menu changes on a regular basis, but you'll nearly always see beef, pork and some form of exciting fish alternative.
"Try to local pan-roasted lamb or Norfolk ox liver with truffle noisette for a real treat."