‘I thought it was a shotgun’ - man describes hearing fatal crash
- Credit: Archant
A man who had been staying in a hotel close to the scene of a serious Norwich crash has described how he heard a loud bang before seeing the incident unfold.
The emergency services were called following a crash involving a pedestrian and a bus on Rose Lane which happened shortly before 10pm on Thursday (August 8).
Police have confirmed a pedestrian, confirmed to be a woman in her 80s, was pronounced dead at the scene following the crash.
A 29-year-old man, who did not want to be named but was staying at the Travelodge on St Vedast Street, described how he heard a "bang" before hearing a lady scream.
You may also want to watch:
The man said: "When I first heard it I thought it was a shotgun - it was so loud."
The man looked out and saw the bus going past, moments after the crash.
- 1 Chantry Place 'close to finalising deals' with four major brands
- 2 'Never seen anything like it' - Norfolk Christmas shopping frenzy has begun
- 3 Man in his 50s dies after head-on collision on A143
- 4 Norfolk RSPCA store appears on Rip Off Britain
- 5 How Norfolk are you? Take this quiz to find out
- 6 Police probing reports Norwich clubbers have been spiked by needles
- 7 'Landmark' former Tuttles store could be set for new lease of life
- 8 'Embarrassing' - City fans ask questions of Farke after Chelsea thrashing
- 9 'You want to be un-vaccinated? Go to Lowestoft' - rock legend's jab at town
- 10 Woman who died in A47 collision named
He said: "When I looked out the bus was still moving. It was an older lady who was killed."
He ran downstairs where he saw police take someone away with them.
He praised the emergency services for the job they do in the face of what they "have to deal with".
Emergency services including police, ambulance and fire crews from Carrow, Sprowston, Earlham and Great Yarmouth attended the incident.
Steve Wickers, managing director at First Eastern Counties said: "One of our buses was involved in a road traffic incident with a pedestrian around 10pm last night on Rose Lane in Norwich city centre. It was confirmed by the emergency services that the pedestrian was fatality injured at the scene and our thoughts at this time are with the persons family and friends.
"We are continuing to work with the police and emergency services to determine the cause of the incident."
Following the incident the road was closed between the junctions of Saint Vedast Street/Prince of Wales Road and Riverside Road/Prince of Wales Road.
No one was injured on the bus which was still visible at the scene, with its hazard lights on, following the collision.
The road was cordoned off in the area close to the Rooftop Gardens complex.
Police were stopping people from heading down Rose Lane past the Rooftop Gardens.
Anyone with information should contact PC Shane Schucroft at the Serious Collision Investigation Team at Wymondham on 101. Officers are also keen to hear from any bus passengers who left the scene and didn't speak to police.