Supermarkets hire thousands of extra staff amid virus outbreak
- Credit: Sonya Duncan/PA Images
Supermarkets are hiring thousands of new staff members nationwide to cope with an increased demand of services amid the coronavirus outbreak.
Morrisons, Iceland, Tesco, Lidl and East of England Co-op are all hiring new staff in Norfolk to help cope with the increased demand both in store and for delivery orders.
The increased demand comes as customers cleaned out the aisles with some panic buying due to fears over the spread of Covid-19.
Morrisons announced on Tuesday, March 17, it was creating 3,500 jobs to expand its home delivery service to cope with rising demand.
The retailer said it would be recruiting about 2,500 pickers and drivers, plus 1,000 staff in its distribution centres.
In Norfolk, the chain has jobs available in its Norwich, Great Yarmouth, Wymondham, Dereham, Diss, Lowestoft, Beccles and Cromer stores.
David Potts, chief executive of Morrisons, said: “We expect the days, weeks and months ahead to be very testing and we are determined to do our bit.
You may also want to watch:
“These measures will support our very hard-working colleagues, enable us to provide more food to more people in their homes and create opportunities for people whose jobs are affected by the coronavirus.”
The increased recruitment comes with a wave of new measures including closing 24-hour stores overnight to re-stock shelves, limiting quantities of some or all items in-store and introducing hours where only the vulnerable can shop.Supermarkets have seen a huge rise in demand for delivery services, with no slots available until next month for both Tesco and Waitrose in some parts of the south east.
The surge came as Transport Secretary Grant Shapps authorised a temporary relaxation, until April 16, of the drivers’ hours rules to help deliver goods to stores across the country.
- 1 Londoners fined for travelling to stay at second home in Norfolk
- 2 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 3 Drivers face non-essential travel fines after spate of snow crashes
- 4 Covid case rates continue to fall across Norfolk and Waveney
- 5 Voyeur watched people after setting up secret cameras in bathroom
- 6 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 7 Man in 20s dies and three hurt as Audi crashes into wall
- 8 Woman in 60s suffers serious injuries after car crashes into ditch
- 9 Government must step in to help 'desperate' Norwich hospital, says MP
- 10 Photo gallery: Snow turns region into winter wonderland
Stores that are hiring new staff include:
Iceland: Norwich, Great Yarmouth, Cromer, Thetford and Swaffham.
East of England Co-op jobs: Norwich, Melton Constable, Spixworth, Harleston and Gorleston.
LIDL: Norwich, Great Yarmouth, Wymondham and Thetford.
For updates on where support is being offered in your community go to the Norfolk and Waveney Here to Help Facebook page.