Angling Direct in “advanced” talks to buyout competitor
- Credit: Angling Direct
Norfolk's Angling Direct has said it is in 'advanced negotiations' regarding the potential acquisition of its competitor Chapmans Angling.
The Wroxham-born business said in a statement on the London Stock Exchange last week that it is in talks with the company, but cannot be certain the transaction will be completed.
MORE: READ: Norfolk Chamber's letter to county's MPs, pressing for Brexit answersChapmans Angling has been trading for more than two decades and has stores in Hull and Scunthorpe.
The announcement came a day after Angling Direct posted a positive trading update ahead of releasing its results for the year.
For the 12 months ended 31 January, the company expected to report revenue £42.0m, up 38.9% compared with the same period the previous year.
You may also want to watch:
International sales increased by 98% to £4.66m, accounting for 20.9% of the group's online sales, a rise from 13.8%, following the launch of the group's German website in June 2018 and Netherlands and French websites which went live toward the end of the year.
In-store sales were £19.74m, an increase of 50% overall and up 6.2% on a like for like basis, the company said. Online sales grew to £22.26m, an increase of 30.3%.
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 3 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 4 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 5 Weather warning for thunderstorms this week after Monday heat
- 6 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 7 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 8 Neighbours tell of shock as murder probe launched
- 9 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 10 Seller took motorbike for one last ride – and did 119mph on NDR
MORE: Warning over cold callers with 'ID' selling household cleaning products across NorfolkThe company said: 'The group has entered its new financial year in a strong position to continue its strategy to grow both organically and by acquisition and the board remains confident that Angling Direct will achieve its targets for the year.'