Mother-of-two found dead in Gorleston flat identified by fingerprints
A woman who was found dead in her flat alongside her partner died of carbon dioxide poisoning, an inquest opening has heard.
Alex Mills, 32, died at her home in Oxford Avenue, Gorleston, on July 21.
The bodies of Miss Mills, a kitchen assistant, and Niraj Patel were discovered after police forced their way into the property after concerns were raised for their safety.
Opening the inquest on Tuesday September 15 Norfolk coroner Yvonne Blake said the medical cause of death was carbon dioxide toxicity and that Miss Mills had been identified by her fingerprints.
In the hours after their deaths friends and neighbours left flowers at the scene and paid tribute to Miss Mills, a mother of two.
People living nearby said the couple had been in a relationship for around five years and had met on an internet dating site.
You may also want to watch:
Having become more serious in the last two years, they were looking to move in together and get married, a friend said, describing Miss Mills as a “bubbly, friendly” woman who would always say hello to people.
“I am shocked and really numb,” she said.
- 1 'It's nonsense': Shoppers react to Norfolk's Tier 2 announcement
- 2 What counts as a substantial meal under Norfolk's tier 2 pub rules?
- 3 Man arrested after woman suffers broken collar bone in row over mask
- 4 Would you know what to do if your car hit a deer?
- 5 New appeal as pregnant woman goes missing again
- 6 Several weeks into lockdown, Norfolk sees sharp decline in coronavirus infection rates
- 7 Green light for new Tesco store in town centre
- 8 'Incredible' donation pays for expansion of Norfolk's largest ancient wood
- 9 Commuter trains halted as Norwich to London line blocked
- 10 PRESSER LIVE: Norwich City v Coventry City - Krul out three weeks; Pukki out this weekend
“I am absolutely devastated.
“This does not feel right. She was a lovely person. When I was going through down patches she used to make me laugh.”
Miss Mills worked at JD Wetherspoon’s The Troll Cart in Great Yarmouth before the lockdown, and at Lydia Eva Court, a care home in Gorleston which specialises in looking after people with dementia.
A spokesman for the pub chain said “We are saddened to hear the news.
“Alex was popular with customers and staff alike at The Troll Cart.
“We extend our deepest sympathies to her family and friends.”
A fleet of emergency services responded in large numbers at around 7pm on Tuesday July 21 with multiple police, ambulance and fire crews rushing to the scene.
An inquest opening held last month also gave Mr Patel’s cause of death as carbon dioxide toxicity.
Police have confirmed the deaths are not being treated as suspicious.The full inquest into Miss Mills’ death was adjourned until November 23 at 2pm.