All the pictures as Jingle Jangle filming comes to Norwich
- Credit: Archant
Visitors to Norwich last week were in for a surprise with snow covering the rooftops on a historic city street.
Christmas came early in Elm Hill as it was transformed into a Victorian winter scene for the filming of Netflix musical Jingle Jangle.
The festive film, which will be uploaded over Christmas 2020, stars Forest Whitaker, whose credits include The Last King Of Scotland and Black Panther, as a toymaker as he struggles to get his magical new invention to work in time for Christmas.
It has been produced by singer John Legend and directed by David E. Talbert and filming is taking place across the UK over 12 weeks.
Over 80 local extras took part in filming, which lasted from Monday to Friday, and were spotted having a snowball fight with Whitaker. Businesses in the street will also feature in the film, such as The Games Room as a newsagents, Olive's Cafe as a supply store and Elm Hill Brides as a butcher's shop.
Graham Loton tweeted on Thursday: "It's not everyday you can say you've been throwing snowballs at Forest Whitaker, especially in June in Norwich... another fun day on set."
You may also want to watch:
The filming has also bought an boost to the city's economy, with 1,800 hotel room nights booked during the preparation, shooting and dismantling period and local people and Norwich University of the Arts students hired as location marshals.
David E. Talbert, writer and director, "When I wrote the script, I always imagined a magical cobblestone town as the centrepiece of the film.
- 1 £6.1m shopping street revamp will take half of 2022 to complete
- 2 Family forced to live in tent after maggots and rats found in home
- 3 Councils could spend millions to buy former Aviva office for new HQ
- 4 Roof collapses into home after major blaze engulfs it
- 5 Fire crews battling large house blaze
- 6 Seven cosy pubs to visit in Norfolk this winter
- 7 Three cars crash and two end up in ditches on rural road
- 8 MP and parents concerned over traffic and parking chaos outside school
- 9 Man arrested on suspicion of stalking after notes left on women's cars
- 10 Jailed this week: Primark brawl, attempted murder and abuse
"Little did I know, this town already existed.
"Thank you to all the beautiful people of Norwich for your hospitality and for sharing your historic city with the world."