Comedy star Jennifer Saunders is heading to Norwich
- Credit: Photograph by Nobby Clark
You're in for an Absolutely Fabulous time as Jennifer Saunders is coming to Norwich Theatre Royal in a new show.
The comedy actress will revive the role of Madame Arcati in Noel Coward's classic play Blithe Spirit from February 24 to 29 ahead of its West End run.
Jennifer received critical acclaim when she starred in the production at Theatre Royal Bath this summer and the show will now visit six UK venues in early 2020.
Blithe Spirit tells the story of novelist Charles Condomine and his second wife Ruth who find their lives change after a séance.
Jennifer Saunders plays the eccentric medium Madame Arcati who conjures up the ghost of Charles' first wife and when she appears, and is visible only to him, she sets out to sabotage his current marriage and things begin to get complicated.
You may also want to watch:
Stephen Crocker, chief executive of Norwich Theatre Royal, said: "We are hugely excited to welcome this fantastic production to Norwich featuring Jennifer Saunders and give our audiences the chance to see it just before it moves into London."
Jennifer is well-known for being half of French and Saunders and also for her double act with Joanna Lumley as Edina in Absolutely Fabulous and has won numerous awards including two Emmys, five Baftas and four British Comedy Awards.
- 1 Atlantis Tower up for sale after owner signs ‘outrageous’ loan deal
- 2 Norfolk woman fined after travelling 200 miles to visit daughter
- 3 Covid rates continue to fall across Norfolk, especially in Norwich
- 4 Fired twice in two months: Events boss feels the pain of Covid
- 5 9 of Norfolk's most famous blue plaques
- 6 Centre takes action after IT failure causes long queues for Covid jab
- 7 Norfolk bowls star tests positive at world indoor championships
- 8 Out on the beat - we join police Covid patrol on the seafront
- 9 A life in agony: 27-year-old's daily torture battling constant pain
- 10 Man's neck broken after being hit by 800kg load which fell off forklift
It is the latest theatre role for Jennifer, who has also appeared in Lady Windermere's Fan in the West End, and she will be joined on stage by Geoffrey Streatfield as Charles, whose credits include Spooks, The Hollow Crown and the Kinky Boots film.
Written in 1941, Noel Coward's Blithe Spirit provided a distraction from life during World War Two when it was first staged.
The show enjoyed a record-breaking run in the West End and on Broadway and remains one of the playwright's most popular works.
Tickets cost from £10 to £31 and go on sale to friends of the theatre on Tuesday, October 1 at 9.30am and to the public at 9.30am on Tuesday, October 8.
To book, log onto theatreroyalnorwich.co.uk or call 01603 630000.