‘His legacy will forever live on’ – Delia and Michael pay tribute to Canaries legend Forbes
- Credit: Archant
Norwich City's majority shareholders Delia Smith and Michael Wynn Jones have paid tribute to Canaries legend Duncan Forbes, who has passed away at the age of 78.
City's former captain had been in a care home in Heartsease, Norwich, since 2013, receiving care for Alzheimer's disease. He passed away on Wednesday evening, surrounded by his family.
A statement from Delia and Michael says: "Duncan was a commanding figure, both on and off the pitch.
"He was the backbone of our defence for many years. Unrelenting in the tackle and an inspiration to the rest of the team whom he would call out in a voice that could be heard way outside the ground.
"We have lost not only a club legend but someone who will forever be part of Norwich City folklore.
"City to the core, and one of the nicest men you could hope to meet, Duncan will be sorely missed by the club, but his legacy will forever live on."
Norwich City top 100: Duncan Forbes (15)
Tributes for Forbes are now likely to be organised ahead of Sunday's Premier League clash with Manchester United at Carrow Road, a 4.30pm kick-off.
An official club statement added: "Everyone at Norwich City Football Club would like to offer their sincere condolences to the family and friends of Duncan at this sad time and ask that the family's wishes for privacy are respected.
- 1 Overnight works on stretch of A47 prompt 50-mile diversion for two weeks
- 2 Norfolk beach named among UK's most contaminated
- 3 'Do not eat' - Lidl recalls product over bacteria fears
- 4 New reservoir could secure region's water supply - but will cost over £1bn
- 5 Friend pays tribute to 'kind-hearted' 20-year-old who died in bike crash
- 6 Revealed: Buyer of Norwich Airport Industrial Estate - and what they paid
- 7 Where you will be able to see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 8 Part of Norfolk Coast Path to close for seven weeks
- 9 'Genuine shock' after biker killed in town centre hit-and-run
- 10 'Foodie Fortnight' to celebrate opening of new food hall in Norwich
"The family would like to place on record their thanks to the all of the staff at Woodside House Care Home in Norwich.
"Details of official club tributes and how supporters can pay their respects to Duncan will be announced shortly."
- If you would like to pay tribute to the Canaries legend, leave a comment below or email email@example.com