Man dies in Wymondham house fire
- Credit: Archant
A man has died following a fire at a house in Wymondham.
Damgate Street remains closed following the early morning fire in the town on Sunday.
Officers from Norfolk Police were called to the scene at 3am and alerted the fire service to the blaze at the property.
A seal remains in place at the property and a number of surrounding properties have been evacuated due to structural concerns and the scale of the blaze.
The death is currently being treated as unexplained while enquiries continue.
Fire crews from Wymondham, Hethersett, Carrow, Earlham Attleborough and Hingham were called at 3.10am.
A police spokesman said: "Emergency services attended an address in Damgate Street at approximately 3am, after officers discovered the fire.
"A man, the only occupant of the house, was discovered inside the property; however, was sadly pronounced dead at the scene.
- 1 Weather warning as thunderstorms expected to hit Norfolk after heatwave
- 2 Norfolk village named among poshest places to live in UK
- 3 Woman 'shocked' to find CCTV in Marina Centre changing room
- 4 Anger as 'rollercoaster' appears at bottom of woman's garden
- 5 Cromer Carnival events cancelled due to extreme heat.
- 6 9 celebrities who have been spotted in Norfolk in 2022
- 7 Firefighters remain on scene of huge forest fire near country park
- 8 Flood alerts issued along the north Norfolk coast tomorrow morning
- 9 Investigation closed into fatal crash where car crashed into river
- 10 How region has been saved from hosepipe ban
"The death is currently being treated as unexplained and the cause of the fire is unknown at this stage."
A police spokesman added fire investigators are expected to attend the scene on Monday to carry out enquiries to establish the cause.