Coronavirus fears bring halt to string of roadworks across Norfolk
- Credit: Archant
Roadworks across Norfolk which are not deemed to be urgent are being suspended because of the coronavirus pandemic.
Norfolk County Council has decided to stop work for the time being, with the government having told people to stay at home.
It will mean that partially completed roadworks at a number of locations around Norwich will remain unfinished for weeks or months.
Martin Wilby, cabinet member for highways, infrastructure and transport, said: “In the light of the current situation, we are suspending all non-essential highways schemes from close of play on Friday.
“Routine maintenance works and emergency repairs will continue to be delivered, if contractors are able to follow the rules on Covid-19.”
You may also want to watch:
Projects which will be affected by the suspension include London Street, Earlham Road and Colman Road in Norwich, Nottingham Way in Great Yarmouth and London Road in Attleborough.
The work in Norwich’s Colman Road started in January and had been due to finish late next month. It has meant that there is no access to Colman Road from traffic heading down South Park Avenue or for traffic wanting to get into South Park Avenue from the Earlham direction.
- 1 Tributes as Leanne, 29, dies after receiving cancer 'all-clear'
- 2 Pupil taken to hospital after incident at Thorpe St Andrew school
- 3 Pedestrian dies after being hit by lorry on A47
- 4 Norfolk hit by flooding as storms reach the county
- 5 Land wanted by village sold to mystery buyer for £50,000 more
- 6 Horse dies two months after being set on fire
- 7 Norfolk receives overnight flood warnings
- 8 'It was like a river' - Flood damage forces couple to move out
- 9 Man found dead at Thorpe St Andrew home
- 10 Major rush hour delays expected as crash involving lorry closes part of A47
The work in Norwich’s London Street only started last week and would have seen the street re-paved.
In Nottingham Way in Great Yarmouth, a new zebra crossing was being installed near the Middlegate Road junction, while bollards were being installed and the pavement resurfaced.
The Attleborough work is part of the £4.5m project which has seen months of work in the town.
The decision comes after national site owners and construction firms have faced pressure to stop projects after numerous reports of workers being unable to follow the government’s social distancing guidelines.
The UK government had told construction companies that they can continue work as long as they practice social distancing, which requires people to stay at least two metres apart.
However, unions had claimed that is not always possible for labourers who often work in confined spaces, and have also complained that the workers can pass the deadly virus on during their commutes to work.
Subscribe to our daily coronavirus newsletter, with all the latest from where you live.