‘Everyone’s entitled to their own view’: MP responds to husband’s Covid-19 conspiracies
- Credit: Archant © 2012
Norwich North MP Chloe Smith has said everyone is entitled to debate after her husband posted conspiracy theories about coronavirus online, describing it as a “mental illness”.
Sandy McFadzean also retweeted posts on Twitter calling the government “tyrants” and “global puppets”.
On Saturday he joined a march against measures to combat the pandemic, including facemasks, social distancing and vaccinations.
His account was deleted after this newspaper contacted Ms Smith for comment on Wednesday afternoon.
In response, Ms Smith, a government minister, said: “My husband’s a private citizen. Everyone’s entitled to their own view, and to debate. I take a different view.”
Mr McFadzean - who works at Credit Suisse, according to his LinkedIn account - also retweeted a post which contained a tirade of abuse against the government’s chief medical officer, Chris Whitty.
You may also want to watch:
Dr Whitty has been leading England’s response to the virus.
The post repeated the conspiracy theory that Bill Gates is behind coronavirus.
- 1 Man dies in hospital after fight near Norfolk pub
- 2 The Bill star reveals he has moved to Norfolk and why he loves it
- 3 Queues form at Norfolk petrol stations - despite reassurances over stock
- 4 Huge seaside home with indoor pool for sale for £600,000
- 5 Norfolk wakes up to empty pumps – despite assurances of ‘ample fuel stocks’
- 6 How farm shop grew from honesty-box shed to £1.2m turnover
- 7 SOLD! Royal Arcade goes for £2m MORE than guide price
- 8 Some queues - but business largely as usual at Norfolk's petrol stations
- 9 Delays on A47 after lorry overturns
- 10 Petrol station queues causing rush-hour delays
Councillor Natasha Harpley, leader of Broadland Labour Group, said on Twitter: “Chloe Smith is not her husband’s keeper but wow, how embarrassing.
“What an insult to the 1000s who have died & those experiencing actual mental ill health.
“I hope his ignorance hasn’t compromised the health of both her & those she meets whilst carrying out MP duties.”
The Conservative Party has not responded to requests for comment.