Taser drawn on man after car stopped by police on Norwich street
- Credit: Submitted
A shop worker has described the commotion after police pulled a Taser on a man after a car was stopped in a Norwich street in the middle of the afternoon.
At least three people were taken away by police after an incident in Magdalen Street, close to the City Convenience Store, where a Land Rover-type vehicle was stopped by officers.
A man, who was later arrested, was threatened with a Taser by officers during the drama which unfolded at about 1.30pm today (Wednesday, September 4).
This evening police confirmed the vehicle was thought to be linked to an incident they are investigating, which happened around midday in Hall Road.
James Wade, the owner of Second Hand Land, on Magdalen Street, said: "I heard 'Get down' and then a bit of a commotion going on.
"I just heard the shouting 'get down on the floor'.
You may also want to watch:
"That's what made me go to the door and see what was going on.
"I had heard nothing before, that's what drew my attention - a bit of shouting and 'get down on the floor'.
- 1 Man and woman found dead in home
- 2 Norfolk seaside holiday park battles Shell over solar panel plans
- 3 Hardware store owners retiring after more than 60 years
- 4 Norfolk RSPCA cattery full as owners give up lockdown pets
- 5 Weather warning as more thunderstorms set to hit parts of the region
- 6 Car catches fire after early morning crash
- 7 Sweet Caroline and a dodgy knee - review of Olly Murs at Newmarket Nights
- 8 Man re-arrested over murder of missing 83-year-old Pat Holland
- 9 Old Buckenham Airshow going ahead as planned this weekend
- 10 Firefighters tackling smoking car after crash near pub
"I went outside. He (a police officer) had a Taser trained on a guy who was on the floor. He was then handcuffed."
Mr Wade said a big, black Land Rover-type vehicle, with women in it, had been stopped by police.
He said the women were then taken out of the vehicle and handcuffed before the car was searched.
Mr Wade said the man and the women were taken away before the vehicle itself was then taken.
He said there were about four police cars which blocked the road off.
Meanwhile Ismail Koc, 21, a shop assistant at the City Convenience Store, said he just "heard police cars" before looking out to see a vehicle had been stopped.
He said: "I just heard a commotion and a police car."
A witness, who wanted to remain anonymous, said a police officer had shouted 'Taser' to someone in a vehicle who then got out and was arrested.
A spokesman for Norfolk Police said: "Police are currently investigating an incident that is reported to have taken place on Hall Road at 12pm this afternoon (Wednesday 4 September 2019).
"A vehicle, thought to be linked to the incident, was subsequently stopped on Magdalen Street at around 1.30pm and four people were arrested and taken into custody."