Wet warning for late weeds
The exceptionally wet spring has encouraged good establishment and growth in sugar beet crops. Growers must be aware that the conditions are also perfect for encouraging a late flush of weeds, said Mike May of Broom's Barn.
The exceptionally wet spring has encouraged good establishment and growth in sugar beet crops.
Growers must be aware that the conditions are also perfect for encouraging a late flush of weeds, said Mike May of Broom's Barn.
He said: "While most growers will have already finished their weed control the exceptional weather conditions of the last few weeks has meant that a late flush of weeds is very likely and they should keep a close eye on their crops.
"In particular volunteer rape, fat hen, annual mercury and orache could well be a problem, especially when the weather eventually warms up. A final treatment could well pay dividends in terms of yield later in the year.
You may also want to watch:
If growers are concerned about the presence of these weeds then they should consider using a treatment with a strong active contact element.
Using a contact containing the product desmedipham, a key component of Betanal Carrera, will give growers control of larger weeds, which is crucially important at this stage of the season. If any weeds are allowed to remain in the crop and get away the last chance to maximise yield will be missed."
- 1 'An insult to the city': Couple ditch 'hellhole' hotel after 45 minutes
- 2 Travellers camped at garden centre car park
- 3 Road cleared after overturned lorry on A47/A11 Thickthorn roundabout
- 4 Ex-head charged with sex attacks on boys at Norfolk school
- 5 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
- 6 Elton John to kick off UK leg of farewell tour at Carrow Road
- 7 James Bond themed windmill owned by 007 star for rent
- 8 RSPCA shop loses more than £1,000 after 'slamming scam'
- 9 Homes evacuated in village after man threatens criminal damage
- 10 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut