West Norfolk young farmers turn furrows to raise charity cash
What a weekend last weekend turned out to be for Terrington Young Farmers.
Members decided to try something a little different for this year's fundraising. With three members, Hayley Smith, Matt Norman and Jonny Smith, we organised a 24-hour Ploughathon. It started at 12.30pm last Saturday and each member spent an hour in the cab. It ran smoothly, even down to change-over of drivers. Jonny and Matt were the designated instructors keeping an eye on those behind the wheel and their ploughing skills! Slightly bleary-eyed, we ploughed 65 acres of heavy clay silt land.
Always ones for a little friendly competition, the fastest ploughing time was set by my sister, Amy Walton at 9pm at 12km an hour.
The straightest furrow was set by Matt Norman, who had the quickest turnaround at just 17.5 seconds. As for sponsorship, this year Terrington YFC is supporting Norfolk Lowland Search and Rescue and the critical care and intensive care unit of Queen Elizabeth Hospital, King's Lynn. It is likely that about £1,000 has been raised.
Thanks to H Melton & Son for providing the land and supplying the diesel, Doubleday King's Lynn for supplying the 6210R John Deere tractor and Harvey Sherwin of Gregoire Besson for the loan of a RWC6 5 furrow plough. Thank you to all sponsors, parents and friends who supported.
Thursday – EXEC meeting, Easton College.
- 1 ‘Porn addict’ Norfolk doctor who secretly filmed women struck off
- 2 Rare insect spotted in Norfolk for first time in nearly 100 years
- 3 5 famous faces who were born in King's Lynn
- 4 Norfolk fish and chip shop named one of the 10 best in the UK
- 5 Mystery of container ships at anchor off Suffolk coast solved
- 6 Vandals smash charity dinosaur trail T.rex and leave kebab in its mouth
- 7 Woman’s death prompts ‘significant dangers’ warning over A11 cycle races
- 8 Teenager died after choking on own vomit
- 9 Norfolk start-up taking on retail giant Amazon
- 10 New parking fees in tourism hotspots could tackle £60m budget black hole
Saturday, October 12 - Diss YFC's dinner dance at Applewood Hall, Banham Zoo for 7.30pm. Tickets £27, in advance only, from Daniel on 07880 536561.