Watchdog in warning over cold call scam
- Credit: PA
People have been warned not to fall for a cold call scam about loft insulation, after an attempt was made to trick a person in Norfolk.
Norfolk Trading Standards said a Norfolk resident had been called by a man who claimed he was "calling about loft insulation that had previously been installed".
The man said they "needed to visit to do a free inspection for damp and mould". The cold caller then offered two time slots for a visit the next day.
But the suspicious resident declined the offer and was told that if they did not accept it "the installer would have no further liability".
The resident ended the call and reported it to the consumer watchdog trading standards.
You may also want to watch:
A spokesman from Norfolk Trading Standards said: "We always advise to be very wary of any approach made in a telephone cold call and never give or confirm any personal details or agree to someone visiting your home if approached in this manner."
They said if people need advice about cold calling, or have agreed to a visit during a cold call, they should contact trading standards through the Citizens Advice consumer helpline on their freephone number 0808 223 1133.
- 1 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 2 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 3 Thieves swam across river to steal paddleboards from new firm
- 4 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 5 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 6 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
- 7 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
- 8 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea
- 9 Plans proposed for 'flexible' space in derelict area of popular park
- 10 Neighbours tell of shock as murder probe launched