Virgin Wines reveals record Christmas sales as drinkers look online for festive treats
- Credit: Archant
Virgin Wines has become the latest wine retailer to report a record Christmas period, with the Norwich-headquartered company shipping 40,000 cases more than last year.
The company achieved £12.6m of revenue in the nine weeks ending December 30, reaching 25,000 new customers, and sending profits soaring 35% to £1.3m.
Core sales grew 15% year-on-year, with 200,000 cases shipped, though a focus on corporate sales paid off with revenue up 110% year-on-year, driving £1.3m of business over the festive period.
The company's gift business, sendagift.co.uk, saw sales rise 30% on expected figures, and 137% year-on-year.
WineBank, Virgin Wines' loyalty scheme, added 16,000 new members over the period, taking total membership to 75,000.
Virgin Wines employs around 150 people and is based at St James' Mill. The company said last year it was aiming for £40m in sales, as more and more customers looked online to buy wine.
Chief executive Jay Wright said: 'This was an outstanding Christmas period for Virgin Wines, with every area of the business performing exceptionally well and many seeing a rise in growth well above our expectations.
- 1 Screams of daughter run over by her dad heard by murder jury
- 2 Vehicles worth £50k stolen from Royal Norfolk Show
- 3 New fishing tackle shop has 'amazing opening day'
- 4 Couple who transformed old mill into unique new home put it up for sale
- 5 New headteacher appointed at village high school
- 6 Plans for 13 new homes near historic former railway line
- 7 Former professional dressage rider died in four-vehicle motorcycle crash
- 8 Primary school left without governors after mass walkout
- 9 Man killed 96-year-old bystander in road rage crash
- 10 Some of the best pictures from day two of the Royal Norfolk Show
'There can be a temptation for businesses to simply chase revenue over the Christmas period; however we continued to focus on our plan for solid and sustainable business growth, which meant strong profit alongside strong revenue.'
• Total sales £12.6m
• Profit 35% up YOY at £1.3m
• WineBank customers now total 75,000
• Sendagift.co.uk sales up 137% year-on-year at £850,000
• Corporate sales up 110% year-on-year to £1.3m
• 25,000 new customers recruited
• Core sales (excluding recruitment) up 15.4% to £11.1m
• 133,000 bottles of Prosecco sold
• Champagne sales up 20% year-on-year