Virgin Wines reveals record Christmas sales as drinkers look online for festive treats
- Credit: Archant
Virgin Wines has become the latest wine retailer to report a record Christmas period, with the Norwich-headquartered company shipping 40,000 cases more than last year.
The company achieved £12.6m of revenue in the nine weeks ending December 30, reaching 25,000 new customers, and sending profits soaring 35% to £1.3m.
Core sales grew 15% year-on-year, with 200,000 cases shipped, though a focus on corporate sales paid off with revenue up 110% year-on-year, driving £1.3m of business over the festive period.
The company's gift business, sendagift.co.uk, saw sales rise 30% on expected figures, and 137% year-on-year.
WineBank, Virgin Wines' loyalty scheme, added 16,000 new members over the period, taking total membership to 75,000.
You may also want to watch:
Virgin Wines employs around 150 people and is based at St James' Mill. The company said last year it was aiming for £40m in sales, as more and more customers looked online to buy wine.
Chief executive Jay Wright said: 'This was an outstanding Christmas period for Virgin Wines, with every area of the business performing exceptionally well and many seeing a rise in growth well above our expectations.
- 1 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 2 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 3 Norfolk cliffs fall man arrested on suspicion of murder released on bail
- 4 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 5 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 6 Scams in Norfolk this week: Hermes texts and electricity boxes
- 7 Norfolk-based Rick Wakeman 'stunned and proud' after being made a CBE
- 8 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 9 Volunteer hit with £100 parking fee while collecting food for needy
- 10 Ask the Expert: How much income will my £350,000 pension generate?
'There can be a temptation for businesses to simply chase revenue over the Christmas period; however we continued to focus on our plan for solid and sustainable business growth, which meant strong profit alongside strong revenue.'
• Total sales £12.6m
• Profit 35% up YOY at £1.3m
• WineBank customers now total 75,000
• Sendagift.co.uk sales up 137% year-on-year at £850,000
• Corporate sales up 110% year-on-year to £1.3m
• 25,000 new customers recruited
• Core sales (excluding recruitment) up 15.4% to £11.1m
• 133,000 bottles of Prosecco sold
• Champagne sales up 20% year-on-year