Quiz: Are you one of the employers ‘alarmingly unprepared’ for the apprenticeship levy?
- Credit: Getty Images/iStockphoto
As a new study shows the majority of employers are 'alarmingly unprepared' for the apprenticeship levy, take our quiz to find out how much you know.
A survey of 1,000 firms found that almost two out of three knew little or nothing of the system for raising money to boost the number of apprenticeships in the UK.
Manpower said its research found that almost a third of larger firms, those covered by the new levy, did not know if they would have to pay it.
The levy starts on April 6, with the government aiming to create three million new placements by 2020.
It will be paid by employers with a payroll of more than £3m and charged at a rate of 0.5% of their annual wage bill. The Treasury has estimated it will raise nearly £3bn a year.
You may also want to watch:
Chris Gray, managing director of Manpower, said: 'Businesses are still alarmingly unprepared for these changes, two years after they were first announced.
'Britain's biggest employers cannot continue to bury their heads in the sand.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault
'Large companies face paying tens of thousands of pounds into this scheme and they need to think about how they will make the most of the available funds.
'Based on today's survey findings, a lot of businesses will be waking up to a shock when the levy kicks in.
'Now is the time to find out more and to prepare for the changes.'