Plans to close Larkman Lane Norwich post office
Fourteen jobs are under threat at the East of England Co-operative Society's store and post office in Larkman Lane, Norwich, which is set to close in August.
The society's lease on the property at Larkman Lane has come to an end and the company plans to close the store on Tuesday, August 21.
While the Post Office has not yet received formal notification, the East of England Co-Operative Society said it has had informal discussions and sent formal notification yesterday. As things stand the nearest post office will be at the society's Earlham Green Lane store.
Roger Grosvenor, the East of England Co-op's executive officer for retail, said: 'As a member-owned business we have a duty to run our business effectively for all our 500,000 members across the region and we are constantly reviewing our stores and services. After careful consideration we have taken the difficult decision to propose the closure of the Larkman Lane food store and post office. However, we are investing nearly �300,000 in the North Earlham area, which will see improved facilities and service for our members and customers in this community.'
The East of England Co-op shop, which is at 560A Dereham Road, will undergo a �290,000 refurbishment and the shop will be temporarily closed for three weeks from Saturday, July 21, reopening on August 14. A Post Office spokesperson said: 'We have received no notification by the East of England Co-operative Society of their intention to close the Larkman Lane Branch. In the event we are made aware of an organisation's intention to close a branch we will always do our utmost to maintain the service in the area by looking at alternative solutions.'
You may also want to watch:
What do you think about the society's plans? Contact Evening News reporter Mark Shields on 01603 772423 or email email@example.com
- 1 Son's plea for help as mum, 87, goes missing from care home
- 2 Covid Delta variant cases double in Norfolk
- 3 This charming village pub is worth travelling to from across Norfolk
- 4 Hundreds of volunteers search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 5 Family's distress as Covid rules force double-jabbed mother into isolation
- 6 Broads pub with 'bags of potential' for sale for £375,000
- 7 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 8 Woman airlifted to hospital following equestrian accident in Beccles
- 9 Weather warning for thunderstorms this week after Monday heat
- 10 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault