Penthouse for sale in former seaside hotel for £1m
A development firm has transformed a Victorian hotel in a Norfolk seaside town into 26 new apartments including a penthouse for sale for £1m.
The Burlington Hotel in The Esplanade, Sheringham, is the last surviving hotel of three that were built in the town in the late 19th and early 20th century. But it later dwindled and became vacant after being last in use in December 2015. In 2017 it went on the market for £1.5m.
After being bought last November by development firm Estateducation, based in Norwich, work began on the site including building a new wing to form the same height as the original building. Work was done because there was a two-storey block which was never finished when it was built in the 1890s.
You may also want to watch:
The firm has just launched the penthouse for sale for a big price which is laid out over two floors and with panoramic sea views. It also comes with three balconies, two lounges and a contemporary kitchen/dining area featuring fully-integrated appliances. There are five bathrooms and also a communal gym within the development. Outside, parking is available for an extra £10,000 a space.
An Estateducation spokesman, promoting the development, said: "Burlington Place is a design-led development of one of Sheringham's most iconic buildings. It offers high-quality dwellings within an eye-catching property overlooking the breathtaking North Norfolk sea.
- 1 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 2 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 3 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 4 Volunteer hit with £100 parking fee while collecting food for needy
- 5 Norfolk cliffs fall man arrested on suspicion of murder released on bail
- 6 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 7 Shoppers queue for revamped garden centre reopening
- 8 Norwich City transfer rumours: Canaries keen on Cherries ace
- 9 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 10 Norfolk-based Rick Wakeman 'stunned and proud' after being made a CBE
"Despite the age of the property, we have designed the entire project with the environment in mind."
Other apartments in the building range from £250,000 for two bedrooms up to £550,000 for three bedrooms, depending on size.
The Burlington was built with 24 bedrooms and 20 bathrooms and in Victorian times was one of three large hotels in Sheringham including The Grand, which was demolished. Steve McDermott was the former owner and applied to North Norfolk District Council for planning permission back in 2015. But the building had to be redesigned after the council originally deferred making a decision and despite council officers recommending the new plans should be refused, a committee passed them.
Mr McDermott said at the time: "The plans are a way of ensuring the main building gets protected for a long time."
What else could you buy in Norfolk for £1m?
A five bedroom detached house in East Harling in 1.6 acres
A three bedroom farmhouse at Bale, near Fakenham with development potential in 30 acres
A six bedroom barn conversion in two acres at Morningthorpe.