A £2,000 plot of land sells for staggering £42,000 at auction
A plot of land in a Norfolk village has sold by online auction for more than 20 times its guide price.
The land adjacent to the fire station in Church Road, East Harling, near Thetford, attracted an incredible 177 bids from 12 different potential buyers, eventually selling for £42,400 from a guide price of £2,100.
But the auction boss Andrew Parker, said: “It’s an excellent buy.”
The plot is considered suitable for building, subject to planning permission, and was sold on behalf of Norfolk County Council by SDL Auctions in an online auction.
Sales in real auction rooms are currently not allowed because of coronavirus.
You may also want to watch:
Mr Parker, managing director at SDL Auctions, based in Nottingham, said: “This is a fantastic result for our seller and we couldn’t be more delighted for them.
“It just shows what can happen at auction when several people have their hearts set on the same lot.”
- 1 McDonald's branch to close for up to three months
- 2 'I ran for my life' - Neighbour who saw fatal row tells of terror
- 3 Hospital to close with loss of 120 jobs
- 4 Man dies after 'industrial incident' at farm
- 5 Injured man found on Norfolk beach could be linked to woman's death
- 6 Mental health hospital owed £2m to staff and creditors when it shut
- 7 Tributes to 'well-known, well-liked, well-respected' King's Lynn fan
- 8 Concern over state of beach following £22m sandscaping project
- 9 Four fish and chip shops listed among the best in the country
- 10 12 villages set to receive some of UK's fastest ever broadband
The land is in a prime location well served with amenities and leisure facilities. Shops include a grocery store, post office, butcher’s shop and chemist, with a fish and chip shop, pubs, a medical practice and care home also serving the community.
Leisure facilities include a bowls club and sports and social club and, in normal circumstances, an annual fete and various activities at the village hall.
The village has a strong community feel, with a team of 80 volunteers currently helping out vulnerable and isolating residents during the Covid-19 crisis.
Mr Parker added: “Even at 20 times its guide price, this plot of land is an excellent buy, particularly if planning permission can be obtained for a family home.
“East Harling is a beautiful part of the country to raise a family, with a thriving community, great amenities and surrounded by beautiful countryside. It also has excellent transport links and is only an hour’s drive to the coast.”