Young Farmers profile: Molly Sellar, 22, on life as a young stock manager at Pearn Wyatt and Son
- Credit: Norfolk Young Farmers
As part of our regular series of profiles on the region's Young Farmers' Club members, 22-year-old young stock manager MOLLY SELLAR says she is looking forward to the show season so she can exhibit her favourite cattle 'characters'.
With my father working in agriculture and having livestock of his own, I've always been around farming.
However it wasn't until I completed my A Levels that I realised I wanted to work in agriculture rather than the path I was taking. Once my exams were finished I worked on a beef farm at South Pickenham until I went on to doing an apprenticeship at Easton and Otley College with Pearn Wyatt and Son, at Grange Farm in Snetterton.
I have now worked there for around two and a half years – with 18 months of this being part of the apprenticeship.
I recently took on a new role at the farm taking care of the young stock, meaning that I look after the calves from birth through to when they calve down for the first time. My day starts at 7am with the feeding of the calves and then we go onto the daily feeding and bedding of the other young stock and the milking cows.
You may also want to watch:
I am looking forward to the show season, which will soon be upon us, as it means I can show off my 'pride and joy' cows and I am able to see other dairy farmers. I am also looking forward to taking my trailer test in the near future so I can be more involved with the turning out of the cows, which will be happening soon.
I love working in farming because as well as every day being different, you're always learning new things. Being able to see the calves grow into their different characters – that make the farm what it is – is also a great experience with farming at Wyatt's.
- 1 PE teacher banned after getting drunk and showing her breasts at school prom
- 2 Welcome to our new website
- 3 Would you know what to do if your car hit a deer?
- 4 What was ‘strange stretched circle’ spotted over Norfolk skies?
- 5 Whale washes up off Norfolk coast
- 6 MPs call for Norfolk to be in own coronavirus tier
- 7 Encouraging signs as Covid infection rates plummet in parts of Norfolk
- 8 Plea for help to trace missing heavily pregnant woman
- 9 Four men caught at £2m Norfolk cannabis factory
- 10 More than 50 pupils sent home after student tests positive
Young Farmers has offered me a way to meet new people who, as well as being good friends, also share the same interests – which can open doors for you. The club has also given me the opportunity to broaden my knowledge by putting on meetings related to farming where you can learn from others.
Name: Molly Sellar
Occupation: Young stock manager
Company: Pearn Wyatt and Son, Snetterton.
YFC club: Wymondham.
How long have you been a Young Farmer?: 18 months.
• Wymondham YFC meets at The Rugby Club, Wymondham, on Monday evenings. For more details about Norfolk Young Farmers contact the county office on 01603 731307.