Norfolk’s farming champions revealed
A former champion of the Norfolk County Farm Business competition has won again.
The supreme champion of the 34th annual competition, organised by the Aylsham Agricultural Show Association, won ahead of last year's winner.
Two Lincolnshire judges from Holbeach, Duncan Worth and Nigel Patrick, of Holbeach St Matthews, visited the five contenders for supreme honours.
They awarded the championship to Sir John White's estate manager Poul Hovesen, who runs the Salle estate, near Reepham, and reserve to Nigel Joice, of Uphouse Farm, South Raynham, near Fakenham.
Mr Hovesen, who is also director of farming on the Earl of Leicester's Holkham estate, has won the title at least five times and was reserve supreme last year.
The sponsors of the 34th annual competition were Brown & Co and Anglia Farmers.
Members of the show association have been invited to the annual farm walk and presentation of trophies, which will take place at Manor Farm, Salle NR10 4SF, on Monday, July 15, starting at 5.30pm.
- 1 Woman in her 50s who died in A11 crash named locally
- 2 Norfolk festival cancelled amid 'challenging year'
- 3 Roads closed as armed police and dog units swoop on Norwich home
- 4 North Norfolk pub re-opens as a hotel
- 5 Mum trying to find lost 'heart' of daughter who died days after birthday
- 6 North Norfolk glamping site named among best in the UK
- 7 Lakeside proposal gone wrong watched by millions on TikTok
- 8 Train travellers set for another weekend of rail disruption
- 9 Traffic easing on first day of Royal Norfolk Show after earlier delays
- 10 The school where boys can wear skirts - but not shorts
To assist with catering and transport arrangements, members are asked to inform the show office on 01263 733881 by Friday, July 12 at the latest.
Judges: Duncan Worth and Nigel Patrick.
Champion – Sir John White's Salle Farms, Manor Farm, Salle; reserve, Nigel Joice, Uphouse Farm, South Raynham.
Finalists, Heygate Farms, Snailspit Farm, Swaffham, manager William Gribbon; J H Withers & Son, Honey Top Farm, Edingthorpe, North Walsham; Chapman Farms, Hill Farm, Rollesby, Great Yarmouth.
Judges: Walter Simon, of Pembrokeshire, and Richard Francis, of Pembroke Dock.
Champion – NE Salmon Ltd, Hyde Farm, Great Fransham, Dereham; reserve, LF Papworth Ltd, Lodge Farm, Felmingham, North Walsham, and Christopher Harrold, of E F Harrold, Docking Farm, Oulton, Aylsham.
Judges – David Cobb, of Winfrith Newburgh, Dorcester, Dorset, and Bruce Guthrie, of East Chaldon, Dorchester, Dorset.
Champion – Jimmy Fowell, of Fowell Brothers, Hill Farm, Itteringham, Aylsham; reserve, Andy Boesen, of Westwood Farm, Great Ryburgh, near Fakenham.
Champion farm manager, Poul Hovesen, of Salle Farms.
Special livestock award - Nigel Joice, Uphouse Farm, South Raynham, Fakenham.
Special Norfolk County Council tenant award, Andrew Withers, of Honey Top Farm, Edingthorpe.