Norfolk beer voted drinkers’ favourite
- Credit: Archant
A Norfolk ale which was brewed using Maris Otter barley grown and malted within the county has received a special award.
Fruit beer Redcracker, which was brewed especially for the Maris Otter 50 festival was voted Champion Beer by beer lovers who attended the three day event in Norwich in September.
Of the 50 new beers on offer, Redcracker struck a chord with festival goers who were impressed with its careful fruit infusion and its use of local ingredients; namely Norfolk raspberries and Maris Otter barley, which is regarded as the finest brewing barley in the world.
Maris Otter 50 brought together 50 completely new beers from the UK and across the globe, including New Zealand and Japan. The event was held to raise awareness of the exceptional barley variety and toast its 50th harvest.
Festival organiser David Holliday said: 'To get 50 new beers at the festival is an achievement in itself, but for all 50 to be of such high quality was testament to brewers' passion for Maris Otter malt. The Woodforde's Redcracker certainly created a buzz on the festival floor, and not only was it voted as the best beer it was also the fastest selling beer at the festival.'
You may also want to watch:
Rupert Farquharson, Managing Director of Woodforde's, said: 'There were many outstanding beers on offer at the festival so for Redcracker to be voted Champion Beer is absolutely fantastic! The brewing team strive for excellence in every pint, so this award is great testament to their passion and creativity.'
The limited edition beer was produced in cask for the festival, but a small quantity has been bottled and is currently available from the brewery's shop in Woodbastwick.
- 1 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 2 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 3 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 4 Thieves swam across river to steal paddleboards from new firm
- 5 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
- 6 Murdered Norfolk mum's bravery has helped family through their darkest days
- 7 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 8 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 9 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
- 10 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea