New Anglia chairman highlights achievements as national report attacks LEPs
The chair of the New Anglia Local Enterprise Partnership has highlighted its achievements so far after a national report claimed that LEPs have made 'limited progress' since their launch a year ago.
Policy research unit Centre for Cities said some of the LEPs were yet to have their boards recognised by the Government while only two had produced a long-term strategic plan, and the group also highlighted high levels of bureaucracy such as large boards which it warned could slow decision-making.
Andrew Carter, director of policy and research, said: 'While a handful of LEPs are doing really well, many are struggling to come close to meeting the objectives that were set to them by Government this time last year.
'One of our biggest concerns is the spatial geography of some LEPs does not match the economic and political geography.'
But Andy Wood, chairman of New Anglia LEP which covers Suffolk and Norfolk, said yesterday: 'We have been open from day one what our objectives are and what we want to achieve. We have a small but focused board, a clear set of priorities and an intent to engage business in the work we do.
You may also want to watch:
'It is early days but to date we are encouraged that our Enterprise Zone bid for Lowestoft and Great Yarmouth was successful as was being awarded Green Pathfinder status by Government. We also continue to work in partnership with our county councils to deliver superfast broadband.'
- 1 'An insult to the city': Couple ditch 'hellhole' hotel after 45 minutes
- 2 Travellers camped at garden centre car park
- 3 Road cleared after overturned lorry on A47/A11 Thickthorn roundabout
- 4 Ex-head charged with sex attacks on boys at Norfolk school
- 5 Tattoo studio owner fined after refusing to close in lockdown
- 6 RSPCA shop loses more than £1,000 after 'slamming scam'
- 7 Man arrested on suspicion of murder after woman found dead in flat
- 8 Historic railway platform building could be demolished in station revamp
- 9 Elton John to kick off UK leg of farewell tour at Carrow Road
- 10 New Lidl stores to open in Norfolk and Waveney in £1.3bn expansion