New £650,000 Co-op store opens at former pub site
- Credit: Archant
A new £650,000 food store has opened its doors at the site of a former pub.
Central England Co-operative opened its new store in Lowestoft on Friday, November 8 with an investment of more than £650,000 in the area.
The food store, which is based in Pinewood Avenue, opened its doors after the closure of the neighbouring Westwood Avenue store.
However, all colleagues have relocated to the brand new, bigger and more modern site which they said "offers a greater range of products to customers and members".
To mark the opening, Co-op staff members were joined by children and staff from the nearby Westwood Primary School to cut the ribbon and declare the new store open.
You may also want to watch:
The school youngsters also produced a special piece of artwork with the theme 'What we love about Lowestoft', which is featured on the outside of the new store giving the children the chance to see their work every time they visit.
Store Manager Paul Baldwin said: "It was fantastic to be able to welcome Westwood Primary School to be our guests of honour at the opening of our brand new store and to see their fantastic artwork recreated on the store.
- 1 Two city businesses on the move as mystery new tenant hovers
- 2 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 3 Norfolk cliffs fall man arrested on suspicion of murder released on bail
- 4 Norfolk-based Rick Wakeman 'stunned and proud' after being made a CBE
- 5 Woman sexually assaulted in Norwich
- 6 'People didn't know I existed' - Shopkeeper thrilled with new store
- 7 Scams in Norfolk this week: Hermes texts and electricity boxes
- 8 Ask the Expert: How much income will my £350,000 pension generate?
- 9 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 10 Family told baby with half a working heart has weeks to live
"All of us here at the Pinewood Avenue store are proud to be part of such a great community in Lowestoft and are delighted to welcome everyone to come and enjoy our new store.
"I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank local residents for their patience and understanding following the relocation, but hopefully everyone will enjoy the brand new store as much as we do."
Hannah Gee, Arts Subject Lead at Westwood Primary School, said: "We were delighted to be asked to cut the ribbon on the new Central England Co-op store in Lowestoft and were really thrilled that the children were asked to produce artwork to be part of the design.
"The children had a great time completing the project and produced some fantastic work celebrating their hometown.
"They have been so excited to come down and see their work proudly displayed and to officially open the store."
The new store offers a wide range of products along with a free water refill station, as well as Lottery, Paypoint, Collect Plus, foreign currency, customer toilets, customer seating areas inside and outside the store, a lifesaving defibrillator, a free car park and a free cash machine.
Customers can also support worthy causes as a specialist collection point has been installed for Lowestoft Food Bank, who were presented with £25 in vouchers by the store manager to celebrate the launch.