National retail award for diversified Norwich PYO farm
- Credit: Archant © 2013
A diversified pick-your-own farm on the edge of Norwich is celebrating after being named among the winners of the national farm retail awards.
White House Farm, off Blue Boar Lane in Sprowston, won the Newcomer of the Year title at a prize-giving ceremony in Chester run by trade body Farma (Farmers and Retail Markets Association).
The family farm, which dates back 150 years, developed into a PYO fruit grower – but the new generation of Oliver and Charlotte Gurney have added a café, butchery and farm shop to diversify the business and establish year-round trade.
The awards judges said: 'Lovely shop and café; so much has been achieved in a short period of time. The ethos of the business and branding is very strong. This is a business to watch closely in the future.'
Mrs Gurney said: 'The recent addition of a butchery has increased footfall enormously helping the farm become a destination for customers who appreciate a personal service and top quality, local produce.'
You may also want to watch:
Michael Mack of property firm Savills, the managing agent for Farma, said: 'The Farma awards are a fantastic way to reward our members for their hard work and dedication throughout the year.'
- 1 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 2 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 3 Thieves swam across river to steal paddleboards from new firm
- 4 Man in critical condition after Norwich assault
- 5 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 6 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
- 7 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
- 8 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea
- 9 Plans proposed for 'flexible' space in derelict area of popular park
- 10 Neighbours tell of shock as murder probe launched