Husband and wife team find strong consumer base for Jerusalem-inspired food in Norwich
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2015
A Jerusalem-inspired restaurant which was opened under seven months ago by a husband and wife team has shot to 11th place out of 679 eating places in Norwich on a ratings site for the city.
Ruth's Kitchen was begun seven months ago as a friendly, canteen-style space for Israeli food on Magdalen Street.
Now rated 11th out of 679 city eating places on Trip Advisor, co-founder Julian Kitcher said a key to success had not been Anglicising the restaurant.
'There is a real openness among people here to try new things,' he said. 'I thought it might be a hard sell, but not at all - people have been intrigued by it all.' The restaurant on Magdalen Street, which is known for its ethnic eateries and quirky shops, was renovated entirely by former carpenter Mr Kitcher before launching.
Mrs Kitcher, who learnt to cook in Israel, is the sole chef behind the scenes preparing everything from scratch.
You may also want to watch:
'For price range, we're almost rivalling McDonalds, but it's all tasty and healthy for you,' said her husband. 'We're trying to start a mini food revolution here.'
The restaurant started out with a £5000 loan from the Norwich and Waveney Enterprise Service (NWES), and is considering entering the business of the year prize in upcoming awards.
- 1 38 Norfolk schools and university named in students' accounts of sex abuse
- 2 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 3 'We offered £20k over and still lost out': Frantic housing market revealed
- 4 School apologises for uniform advice wording after sexism claims
- 5 WATCH: Heron patiently waits for fish and chips
- 6 Teenage boy found a week after being reported missing
- 7 Canaries closing in on new shirt sponsor
- 8 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
- 9 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 10 Driver cut from vehicle after crash on Norwich ring road
Have you begun a start-up in the city? Contact business writer Jess Staufenberg at email@example.com or 01603772531.