Greene King eyes Olympic gold in �70m London pub deal
East Anglian brewing giant Greene King is to increase its presence in London ahead of the 2012 Olympics in a �70m deal to buy Capital Pubs.
The Bury St Edmunds based brewer, will acquire Capital's 34 pubs in London - taking its portfolio of pubs in the city to 250.
The Greene King deal comes after Capital's management rebuffed bids from rival brewers Fuller, Smith & Turner last month.
The deal also is Greene King's third acquisition this year, after the purchase of RealPubs and Cloverleaf for a combined �108m.
Greene King chief executive Rooney Anand said: 'The proposed acquisition represents another firm step as we continue to expand our presence in London.
You may also want to watch:
'Capital Pubs would bring a further 34 premium pub assets and take our Greater London estate to approximately 250 at a time when London is outperforming the national pub market.
'This offer represents a fair price for a high quality, largely freehold pub estate. Capital Pubs is a premium London pub company that fully meets our criteria as we continue to progress our retail expansion strategy. Capital Pubs' estate fits well within the Greene King portfolio and we intend to combine it with our recently acquired Realpubs business,
- 1 Machinery sale marks end of family's 100-year farming history
- 2 'Max Factor lady' - Tributes to adored gran who died in M11 layby
- 3 Ghosts of business past: Empty shop units for rent for £100,000
- 4 Roads flooded on east coast after heavy rain
- 5 Warning over 'Amazon' cold call recordings scam in Norfolk
- 6 Two Norfolk villages named among most beautiful to visit in England
- 7 'Oh no, not another one' - lake drowning triggers soul-searching over safety
- 8 'An insult - Matt Hancock accused over secret visit to crumbling hospital
- 9 City recruitment chief linked with Boro exit
- 10 Pub has to close indefinitely as town cleans up after floods
thereby generating attractive cost and revenue synergies.'
Clive Watson, who worked for Regent Inns before setting up Capital Pubs in 2000, added: 'Greene King is an excellent cultural fit and will be a good home for both the business and our staff.'
Greene King, which is best known for its Old Speckled Hen and Greene King IPA beers, expects the deal to add its earnings in the first full year of ownership and to generate savings of �2m though reduced overheads and purchasing benefits.