From loft conversions to tennis courts – what would your ideal home improvement be?
- Credit: Sonya Duncan
What addition would you rather make to your house – a loft, a home gym, or a hot tub?
Lofts and basements are among the most popular choices in the modern home improvement market, while conservatories and porches are falling out of fashion, according to analysis of local authority data by Halifax Insurance.
In East Anglia the most preferred home addition is a hot tub, in London tennis courts and home gyms reign supreme, and in Yorkshire a 'man cave' is the most desired attribute.
The research suggests more homeowners are choosing to make improvements rather than move house, with a 31% rise in planning applications in the East of England between 2012 and 2016.
Separate research from Lloyds Bank recently found that in the first half of 2017, the number of home movers was down by 2% nationally compared with the same period a year earlier.
You may also want to watch:
The typical price paid by home movers for a property has surged by 41%, from £206,122 in 2012 to £290,991 by June 2017 – an increase of £84,869, Lloyds found.
- 1 Murder investigation launched after woman found dead following house fire
- 2 11 Norfolk cafés perfect for outdoor dining
- 3 Vision for multi-million pound new Norwich venue revealed
- 4 Thieves swam across river to steal paddleboards from new firm
- 5 Child taken to hospital after being pulled from the sea
- 6 Murdered Norfolk mum's bravery has helped family through their darkest days
- 7 Police reopen road following earlier crash
- 8 Be lord of the manor: Site of forgotten mansion for sale for £2.3m
- 9 In pictures: England fans enjoy Euro 2020 win at Norwich fan park
- 10 'Be responsible' - coastguard issues warning after seven-year-old is rescued from sea