EDP Business Awards 2017: Bringing research and business together the key for Knowledge Catalyst
- Credit: Simon Finlay Photography
The winner of the EDP Business Awards 2017 Knowledge Catalyst category is bringing scientific excellence to the forefront of its business.
Based on the academic work of Profs David Russell and Rob Field, Iceni Diagnostics is a spin-out from Norwich's John Innes Centre and University of East Anglia which uses carbohydrates to detect viruses and bacteria instantly.
The company beat knowledge-sharing network Agri-Tech East and water treatment specialists Lintott Control Systems to win the prize, which was sponsored by the University of East Anglia.
Iceni Diagnostics have created a simple test to diagnose several diseases in their early stages, – preventing the spread of bugs and reducing the strain on hospitals. Now the company is looking to the agricultural industry with a test for avian flu.
Prof Field said: 'We are at that stage where we are looking for investment and being able to say we have won this award will show them what we can do.
You may also want to watch:
'We are looking to take on staff and attract scientific talent so visibility is really important for us.
'The opportunities are huge for us.
- 1 Body found in search for missing 87-year-old Margaret Smith
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 WATCH: 'Selfish' drug-driver ploughs into police detective's vehicle
- 4 Norfolk man who had sexual relationship with teen jailed
- 5 Two Norfolk businesses star in TV show
- 6 Fly-tipper travelled from Welsh border to dump in Norfolk
- 7 Aldi planning four new stores in Norfolk
- 8 The Range confirms new store at former Outfit on retail park
- 9 Funeral held for much loved windsurfer after body found in Sweden
- 10 Man charged with attempted murder after serious Norwich assault
'There are some excellent scientists in the region and they need to know there are commercial science jobs there for them.'
The judges said: 'New knowledge is central to developing cutting edge science and technology.
'Iceni is collaborating with other universities and research institutions to acquire and share knowledge.
'The company has distilled very complex knowledge into a simple and effective solution. It has a clear route to market and a strong regional commitment.'