Business park vision for former hospital in Thorpe St Andrew

Artist impression of Lind Trust business park plans for St Andrews Hospital in Thorpe St Andrew.

Artist impression of Lind Trust business park plans for St Andrews Hospital in Thorpe St Andrew. - Credit: Submitted - April 2013

A vacant 19th century site in Thorpe St Andrew looks set to be turned into a business park.

St Andrew's House when it was up for sale in 2011.

St Andrew's House when it was up for sale in 2011. - Credit: Archant

Plans for St Andrew's Hospital, behind St Andrew's Business Park, north of Yarmouth Road, have been lodged with Broadland District Council by Christian entrepreneur Graham Dacre's Lind Trust.

St Andrew's House when it was up for sale in 2011, with the cricket pavilion pictured.

St Andrew's House when it was up for sale in 2011, with the cricket pavilion pictured. - Credit: Archant

The main building on the site, St Andrew's House, was originally an addition to the Norfolk Lunatic Asylum to the south of Yarmouth Road, being completed in 1881.

The old Thorpe Hospital building during it's partial demolition. PHOTO BY SIMON FINLAY

The old Thorpe Hospital building during it's partial demolition. PHOTO BY SIMON FINLAY - Credit: Archant Norfolk

The whole site was closed as an NHS hospital in April 1998 and the original grade II listed buildings from 1814 on the south site have since been converted into private housing.

St Andrews House was used as offices by the Norfolk Primary Care Trust until 2007 and in January 2011 the 13-acre site was put on the market by NHS Norfolk with a price tag of £2m.


You may also want to watch:


Now the Lind Trust plans have been lodged for part-conversion and redevelopment of the site into 12,750sqm of office space and associated accommodation, inside a mixture of two and three-storey buildings.

The plans state: 'The masterplan for St Andrew's Hospital site is to create a unique new business environment in east Norwich, providing a framework for progressive redevelopment of the former hospital site for high quality buildings set within a mature landscape environment.'

Most Read

The main central section of St Andrew's House is set to be retained, with permission to demolish the other buildings already granted and carried out.

The plans also state an intention to create a 'parkland' setting to 'enhance the concept of high quality buildings'.

The 5.10ha site's disused cricket pitch and derelict pavilion, not used for over 20 years, would be turned into car parking, with 450 parking spaces on the site in total.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter