Willow grower’s ‘amazing’ open day raises £4,000 for air ambulance charity
- Credit: Nick Butcher
A willow grower near Beccles said he was amazed by the turnout at an open day which attracted 1,500 visitors and raised more than £4,000 for the East Anglian Air Ambulance.
Brampton Willows opened its gates to the public for the first time in 15 years on Sunday, allowing people to tour the firm's 18 acres of commercial willow beds and see some of the one-off artistic structures and bespoke fencing made from the trees.
Business owner Robert Yates said: "I'm in somewhat of a state of shock as I thought we would be lucky to get more than 200 people to come to our little effort - I secretly hoped for perhaps 500 but not beyond my wildest dreams did I imagine what actually happened. We reckon that around 1,500 people came.
"The volunteer from the air ambulance said he had never seen anything like it and, so far, the event has raised around £4,000.
"I had no idea that so many people were interested in our little enterprise here and it's all rather humbling."
You may also want to watch:
Mr Yates also praised the "incredible support" from local people and businesses, including professional curators managing the art exhibitions, and volunteers helping with the car parking and refreshments.
He added: "And we had local businesses doing anything from lending furniture for the tea area, to donating mountains of cake and even providing and installing temporary fencing around the site. Quite amazing."
- 1 Man in 20s drowned in Bawsey Country Park lake
- 2 'I can't carry it' - Shock as plant starts growing eight inches a day
- 3 Amazing photos show storms over Norfolk – and there are more to come
- 4 Elderly man took his clothes off at Norwich park
- 5 Man, 20, who drowned at Bawsey Pits is named
- 6 Cat food brands recalled over link to fatal disease
- 7 School shut after ceiling tile falls on to class of children
- 8 See inside the 'tiny mobile homes' built from scratch for £95,000
- 9 Bungling car thieves dump £92,000 Range Rover
- 10 Norwich bar gets back licence after tearful appeal by owner