Norwich firm ‘gatecrashes’ Love Island at heart-breaking moment
A Norwich firm was gifted some unexpected exposure during the latest episode of television show Love Island thanks to a technical glitch.
Just as the show - which involves a group of twentysomethings trying to find love in a villa in Majorca - reached a crucial moment online viewers where presented with an advert for insurance giant Aviva.
While those watching on normal television avoided the malfunction and did see the heart-stopping moment when contestant Amy told Curtis she loved him those watching online were instead urged to 'get an AvivaPlus quote'.
The ad, in the insurance giant's trademark yellow and black colours, filled the screen for minutes when it should have only flashed up for a second.
And fans of the hit show were not happy at missing one of the key moments in the series so far with many taking to social media to vent their frustration.
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Weather warning issued as wintry showers expected to cause icy conditions
- 3 Teenager admits stabbing three people in Norwich city centre
- 4 Case of Omicron Covid variant confirmed in north Norfolk
- 5 More than 80 Norfolk parishes protest against wind farm plans
- 6 Man stopped 504 people from getting jabs after gluing vaccine centre locks
- 7 MP 'not concerned' about single Omicron case in north Norfolk
- 8 'Oh God almighty, this woman!' - Zoom council meeting descends into chaos
- 9 Tributes paid to much-loved family man who died in A143 crash
- 10 Road closed for 'emergency' repairs to Victorian footbridge
ITV tweeted: "Apologies #LoveIsland fans! We're experiencing some technical issues and hope to have it fixed ASAP. Thanks for your patience so far."
In response, spokesman for Aviva in Norwich, John Franklin said: "We feel the frustration of Love Island fans. But as fellow contestant Tommy would say: 'It is what it is'.
"You never know, maybe one day you'll be able to get insurance to cover such a situation."
The impromptu appearance by Aviva came in the midst of a major showdown between Amy who was heart-broken after Curtis explained how he had fallen for newcomer in the villa Jourdan.
After an initial chat in which Amy was clearly upset she returned to confront him, with the fact she was "coming back to the villa to tell you I loved you". Not that online viewers were able to witness the drama.
Viewers tweeted with one saying: "Thinking I should get an Aviva plus quote while I'm waiting for the hub to work again." Another said: "Just watched the Aviva ad 35 times."
Moments later, but after the Amy/Curtis showdown, ITV tweeted: "#LoveIsland fans - we're back! Please refresh your browser and hit play again. Apologies for any inconvenience."