‘Let’s give it hope’ - appeal joy for fire-ravaged church
- Credit: Archant
A crowd-funding appeal in aid of a church which was devastated by fire has smashed its target within days.
An anoymous well-wisher set out to raise £1,000 in aid of St Mary's Church at Wimbotsham, near Downham Market.
The 12th Century building was gutted by a fierce blaze on Wednesday morning. Its cause is still being investigated.
You may also want to watch:
As donations trickled in, an anonymous donor pledged the entire target. The money will help fund repairs at the church, which are expected to cost many timnes that amount.
Its roof collapsed in the fire and pricless carvings and other fittings were destroyed.
- 1 Norfolk and Suffolk Elections 2021: LIVE Results
- 2 'Complete shock' - Neighbours stunned after cannabis farm uncovered
- 3 Three adorable abandoned day-old kittens adopted by stray
- 4 Antiques Road Trip films at Norfolk collectables shop
- 5 Owner of new pet shop says he will put animal welfare before sales
- 6 Iconic seafront property sold as £50,000 donated to lifeboats
- 7 Two women injured in serious crash which closed road
- 8 Norwich Airport puts back a host of flights as Covid bites
- 9 Police hunt for missing Beccles man
- 10 Long tailbacks on A47 due to roadworks and lane closure
Other donors to the appeal, which now stands at £1,180, spoke of their loss.
"So sad that so much beautiful history has gone. St Mary's holds many memories," wrote one. Another added: "This church means a lot to me, singing in the choir, family baptism's, weddings and funerals including my Dads. Beautiful church let's give it hope."