Video: Strong start for Dereham rock choir Rockavox
A choir with a difference which includes teenagers and their parents will be touring Dublin next year just a few months after its formation.
The 32-strong Rockavox choir from Dereham started in April this year and performs rock songs by the Beatles, Alice Cooper and modern American band Evanescence.
It was set up be Nia Howe, 31, a teacher from JDT Music Academy in Dereham, where the choir practises every Friday.
Members range from 14 to 65 and between April 8 and April 12 next year the group will tour around the centre of Dublin.
Miss Howe, from Dereham, said: 'I'm incredibly proud. They really do sound awesome.'
You may also want to watch:
She added the choir has embraced the challenge - despite some members not being able to read music.
Rockavox has recorded two songs, Weather With You by Crowded House and Poison by Alice Cooper, which will go on the JDT Academy website.
- 1 Latest situation on fuel sees more queues despite continued assurances
- 2 Former DJ and worker at Norfolk school was a 'deviant sexual predator'
- 3 Jailed in Norfolk: Paedophiles and man caught with £15k of cannabis
- 4 County welcomes tankers but motorists continue to queue for fuel
- 5 Seaside restaurant hit with zero food hygiene rating
- 6 Flowers left by road in tribute after man's death
- 7 Roadworks to be aware of in Norfolk this week
- 8 'It's looking bleak' - City taxi firms respond to panic-buying at the pumps
- 9 Norfolk scams: Rogue gardeners and fake energy salespeople
- 10 Aldi to open 100 new stores with eyes on towns in Norfolk
The choir will also be doing its first ever solo concert on October 20, from 7.30pm, at the JDT Academy on Charles Wood Road on the Rashes Green Industrial Estate.
'It is a fantastic opportunity,' Miss Howe said.
Tracie Murfet, 51, from Toftwood in Dereham, joined after being told about it by her neighbour.
She said: 'It is lovely to do some singing and express yourself. It is fun. Singing gives everyone a feel good factor.'
Tickets for the concert on October 20 cost �6, which can be bought by ringing 01362 694817.
Anyone interested in joining Rockavox does not need to audition, just turn up to a Friday night rehearsal between 6pm and 8pm. It costs �3.50 for two hours.
For more information, visit www.jdtmusic.co.uk