‘Unsinkable’ Lilian marks 105th
An 'unsinkable' grandmother who was raised in an orphanage has celebrated her 105th birthday.
Lilian Hudson, from Gorleston, is believed to be one of just 700 people in the UK to reach the milestone.
Born to a sailor and his wife in September 1911, she was the youngest of four sisters, who lived in the seaside town.
But her life changed dramatically at the age of three, when both of her parents died suddenly.
It resulted in her having to move to an orphanage in Bristol, where she also lost her 14-year-old sister to TB.
During the Second World War, Lilian served with the RAF in Sri Lanka, where she worked as a postal clerk. She later moved back to Norwich, working on the production lines at Colman's Mustard, and then the engineering firm Boulton and Paul Ltd.
It was there that she met her husband-to-be Geoffrey Hudson, and the pair married in the 1950s.
- 1 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 2 Delays expected with A47 to close in both directions for 15 miles
- 3 Man accidentally downloaded indecent images of children, court hears
- 4 Family 'increasingly concerned' about missing Beccles woman
- 5 Norse chief executive quits for personal reasons
- 6 Man had cocaine hidden in car when stopped by police
- 7 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today
- 8 New Burger King site approved in city centre
- 9 Trains cancelled after lorry crashes into bridge
- 10 Man accused of playing naked wrestling game with schoolgirl likely to be jailed
Although she has no children of her own, Lilian has a step-child and four step-grandchildren.
Her nephew Derek Shepherd, 73, who helped Lilian celebrate her birthday, said she had an adventurous spirit. 'I think that is what has kept her going all these years,' he said. 'She is very optimistic and things never seem to get her down. She is unsinkable.'
Despite her age, Mr Shepherd said Lilian still remains active and is very disciplined – attributes that she believes have contributed to her long life.
Care home staff at Beauchamp House in Chedgrave helped Lilian mark her birthday last Thursday with a cake. She was joined by other residents, who were entertained by a vintage singer.
Is a member of your family celebrating a milestone birthday? Call Luke Powell on 01603 772684.