Would you pay £5,000 for this?
- Credit: supplied by Keys Fine Art Auctioneers
From beautiful bird paintings to taxidermy and books – a flock of ornithological art and artefacts will go under the hammer at auction this week.
Keys Fine Art Auctioneers will be holding the specialist sale – said to be the biggest of its kind – at its Aylsham salerooms on Friday.
There are 406 lots in the sale, many with connections to Norfolk, including works by ornithological artists and taxidermists.
Among them are 14 works by leading ornithological painter John Cyril Harrison, who lived and worked in Norfolk for many years and was a keen supporter of the Norfolk Wildlife Trust. One of his works, the watercolour Golden Eagles with Young and Nest, has been listed with a pre-sale estimate of £4,000 to £5,000.
There is also a 17th century first English edition book – called The Ornithology of Francis Willoughby – which has been given a pre-sale estimate of £800-£1,000.
It is the fourth year that Keys has held an ornithological sale, and Keys' director Kevin Lines said this was the biggest yet.
He said: 'In 2013 we first brought together a specialist sale, and it has really taken off since then – to the point where this is now the country's biggest such auction. What is really nice is that many of the leading ornithological artists and taxidermists were either from Norfolk or worked here, so it's entirely appropriate that the UK's largest bird-related sale should take place in the county.'
- 1 'Squatter' couple become legal owners of land as saga continues
- 2 Norfolk car dealership and MOT centre named among best in the country
- 3 WATCH: Moment hero doorman tackles knifeman during Norwich triple stabbing
- 4 Man who died in Old Buckenham crash named
- 5 'It was horrible' - Shock as woman robbed and assaulted in broad daylight
- 6 Tributes to 'kind and caring' Norwich man with a love of chess and walking
- 7 'This affects everyone' - Erosion strikes Hemsby again
- 8 Bid to build 70-bed care home and 24 affordable houses
- 9 'Fantastic' barn conversion with golf simulator and games room is for sale
- 10 'Like touching grim reaper's nose': Teenager lucky to be alive after crash
The auction will take place this Friday at Keys Fine Art Auctioneers' Aylsham salerooms, starting at 10.30am. Viewing is on Wednesday from 9am to 6pm, on Thursday from 9am until 7.30pm, and on Friday from 8.30am.
For more details, including a downloadable catalogue, visit www.keysauctions.co.uk
Live online bidding will be available at www.the-saleroom.com