Winter walks around north Norfolk
- Credit: Archant
The Ramblers' Festival of Winter Walks is running over the Christmas and New Year period - with several in the north Norfolk area.
It is a chance to discover the pleasures and benefits of walking in the countryside in the welcoming setting of a Ramblers group-led walk.
There are shorter or longer walks to try while making the best of winter days...and kick-starting those New Year's resolutions.
The walks are free, fun and open to everyone.
Chosen and led by Ramblers' volunteer leaders, the walks showcase Norfolk at its wintry best. Man of the walks are short and family-friendly, while there are also longer walks for the seasoned hikers too.
Wear warm clothing and sensible footwear, bring a drink and, for longer walks, a packed lunch.
- 1 Long-awaited plans for A47 roundabout revamps revealed
- 2 Hopes rekindled for new £20m railway station
- 3 'We're over the moon': Family overjoyed as missing Norwich girl returns home
- 4 Patient dies while waiting in ambulance for hospital bed
- 5 New 4,000 home garden village idea criticised by countryside charity
- 6 Man arrested after passenger dies in Old Buckenham crash
- 7 Plumber's plan for 'enormous' garage in his back garden rejected
- 8 John Lewis boss bids farewell to Norwich store after nearly three decades
- 9 Ongoing roadworks to be aware of in Norfolk this week
- 10 Snow starts to fall in Norfolk - but will it last?
Here is a list of walks within easy striking distance.
The map numbers given are for Ordnance Survey Landranger Map number, then OS Explorer Map number, followed by the grid reference.
SUNDAY DECEMBER 28
Start: 10am, nine miles. Meet: At the village free car park. Map: 132/251 Ref TF 891 436. Contact: Edwina on 01328 862771.
NEW YEAR'S DAY
Start: 10.30am, five miles. Meet: At (and park on) the Buttlands. NR23 1EZ. Map: 132/251 TF 916 434. Contact: Kate on 01328 711312.
Start: 10am, 10.5 miles. Meet: Esplanade, at western end of boating pond. (There's a New Year's surprise at the end of this walk!) Map: 133/252 Ref TG 154 435. Contact: Richard 07500 363279. Salthouse
Start: 10am, five miles. Meet: Salthouse, at Beach Road free car park. Map: 133/251. Ref TG 810 440. Contact: Jasmine on 01263 588822
SATURDAY JANUARY 3
Start: 10.30am, seven miles. Meet: Park at the village hall NR21 0DR (£1 per car please). Map: 132/251 Ref TF 982 398. Contact: Jenny and Vic on 01263 713613.
SUNDAY JANUARY 4
Start: 10am, eight miles. Meet: At the free car park in Station Road. Map: 133/238 Ref TG 099 231. Contact: Jimmy on 01362 668698 or 07789 724430.