Wine-tasting event inspired by Game Of Thrones at Norwich Cathedral
- Credit: Copyright: Archant 2016
The world of Game of Thrones is vast, from the mountainous region of Dorne to the island of Arbor.
So expansive are the seven kingdoms, described in the cult book series and TV show, that they boast a raft of distinctive wine-making areas.
Fans of the show, whose first episode was called Winter Is Coming, have researched the nearest existing equivalents to the tipples in the drama.
And now Wine Is Coming... to Norwich Cathedral, for a special tasting event inspired by the show.
It has been organised by former Thorpe St Andrew High School sixth form student Linden Wilkinson, 22.
You may also want to watch:
He has experience in the drinks industry. working for Adnams and later for The Whisky Exchange in London, and has now started an events business with his girlfriend Rachael Carpenter, 26.
For the Game Of Thrones wine-tasting, they hope to showcase real life counterparts to Westeros wines, explained by costumed hosts in the atmospheric setting of the cathedral.
- 1 Tributes to much-loved Laura, 28, after Covid death
- 2 Man seriously injured after crash
- 3 'Isolate from your household' plea as Covid soars in Norwich
- 4 Revealed: The areas where Covid cases are still increasing
- 5 'They don't care': Retired couple slam council over 'dangerous' tree
- 6 Norfolk yet to reach peak in latest wave of coronavirus deaths
- 7 Serial 'dine and dash' conman who fled hotels without paying is jailed
- 8 Man admits causing death of popular sportsman by dangerous driving
- 9 Six people arrested after man in 50s was stabbed in Norwich
- 10 Minke whale washes up on beach
'I'm possibly the biggest Game of Thrones addict you could find,' he said. 'We've designed a wine list based on looking at the climate and the regions and the people that you see in the books and the show.
'It's based on the wines we think would come from those areas.'
He said of the cathedral: 'It looks about as Game of Thrones as you could find.'
The Very Reverend Jane Hedges will provide a guided tour to guests, and it is hoped the event will help engage people with the cathedral in an innovative way.
Mr Wilkinson's company, called Geek Social, is planning further events inspired by the Harry Potter series.
The Game Of Thrones wine tasting, for people aged over 18 only, will take place on Thursday, July 28 from 8pm to 10.30pm.
It will be hosted inside the refectory at Norwich Cathedral.
Tickets cost £30 per person including a selection of wines to sample and a moonlit tour.
See www.begeeksocial.com, or call 07429 299885.