Video: Norfolk musician Scott Wright set for biggest gig of his life at Open in Norwich
An up-and-coming Norfolk musician will launch his latest recordings in a gig at Open in Norwich at the end of next month.
Scott Wright, from Easton, will showcase his brand of acoustic indie pop at Open, in Bank Plain, on Friday, August 24 – topping a bill which sees three other local bands performing.
The gig mark's the 30-year-old's release of the singer-songwriter's release of his new EP, As It Is.
Mr Wright said: 'I've been writing songs for about 10 years but only performing since about 2008. I started off doing quite a lot of cover versions but now want to perform more of my own material.
'My songs are about the usual things – love, life, and events that happen to myself and my friends. Some people say my style is similar to Britpop but I want to be known for my own style as a singer-songwriter.
'I hope this show at Open will lead to other things for me and I'd like to release an album, but above all I just want people to come along and enjoy my music.'
Over the past four years, full-time dad Scott has played at various pubs and clubs in Norfolk, including the Playfest event at Eccles New Hall, near Quidenham, for the last two years.
- 1 Body found in the sea at Great Yarmouth
- 2 North Norfolk road closed with drivers asked to avoid area
- 3 Popular teacher, 55, died after falling down stairs, inquest hears
- 4 Norwich firm part of growing number of businesses working four day weeks
- 5 Teenager died of injuries six days after crash
- 6 Holiday Inn to become 'care hotel' to help struggling hospitals
- 7 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm
- 8 John Lewis CCTV footage leads to Norwich gun arrests
- 9 A year on: Tributes to teacher who died following tumour diagnosis
- 10 1920s bungalow up for sale in one of the Broads' most sought-after villages
The EP is being released on his own independent label and will be available on iTunes and at the Open show, priced �4.
While he often performs as an acoustic solo artist, Mr Wright will be on stage with a full band for the Open gig, which will also see performances from local bands Hemingway, The Tracks, including The Voice star Bill Downs, and Empire.
The concert is set to be the most important of Mr Wright's career, with his most memorable performance so far at The Waterfront in August 2010, as support with the band The Loyal Few, who had also invited the then little-known Ed Sheeran to headline the show.
Mr Wright, who lives in Easton with fianc� Jamie, 15-month-old son Cayden and a seven-year-old step-daughter Casey, recalled: 'At the end I remember being with Ed Sheeran and people were asking us to sign the tickets. There are a few tickets out there in Norwich with Ed Sheeran's autograph on one side and mine on the other!'
Doors open for the gig at 7.30pm with the first band on stage at 8pm.
Tickets are �4 and are available from the UEA box office on 01603 508050 or at www.ueaticketbookings.co.uk, from Open on 01603 763111 or from www.scottwrightmusic.co.uk
- Have you got a story? Contact Evening News reporter David Freezer on 01603 772418 or firstname.lastname@example.org