Video: A big challenge for Norwich funny man Dan McKee
A Norwich comedian is heading for the biggest show of his life after reaching the final of a national competition.
Dan McKee, from Old Catton, was one of two people to win the Costa Light Comedy Challenge heat in Brighton recently.
The 31-year-old was invited to enter the Brighton regional heat after entering a one-minute video on the internet and won over stand-up star Paul Tonkinson with a five-minute set, when up against nine other hopefuls.
Mr McKee now heads for London next Saturday and is in with a chance of winning a 10-minute slot at The Comedy Store in London and Manchester, as well as a year's worth of free coffee from Costa. Mr Tonkinson said of Mr McKee's set: 'Dan was exceptional. I have been a comic for 18 years and I am still trying to get better myself.
'It's very hard to stand-up and do this, especially in front of a small audience, but Dan was very natural and there was some great material.'
Mr McKee is now up against nine others from around the country – following other heats in Bristol, Nottingham, Manchester and Edinburgh – in front of Mr Tonkinson and The Comedy Store Management.
Mr McKee, a part-time civil servant who only started performing stand-up three years ago, said: 'I thought it was worth a shot and I feel wonderful to have won.
- 1 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 2 Woman in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 3 'Once in a lifetime catch' - man lands monster fish in Norfolk
- 4 People are driving for hours to visit this loaded fries and doughnut kiosk
- 5 Music-loving dad whose ashes were fired into festival crowd took own life
- 6 Obituary: Doctor, and son of Norwich's recycling empire founder, dies aged 69
- 7 One person taken to hospital after three-car crash on A47
- 8 Father accused of baby girl's murder 'had short fuse and made things up'
- 9 Holiday Inn to become 'care hotel' to help struggling hospitals
- 10 'TV naturalist suggests Western Link is not 'tolerable'
'I'm feeling optimistic about the final and really looking forward to it.
'The owner of The Comedy Store Don Ward will be there and it is notoriously difficult to get him to see your act.
'If he says your act is good, then you are halfway there!'
- Go to www.eveningnews24.co.uk to watch Mr McKee's entry video.
- Do you know someone who has reached a national final? Contact David Freezer on 01603 772418 or email email@example.com