Truman Capote Talk Show
After the Oscar-winning film, you might have been forgiven for thinking that you had nothing new to learn about Capote.
Think again. Bob Kingdom's superb biograph-ical sketch takes the form of an after-death talk show and leaves you with the slightly unsettling impression that you've spent 90 minutes with a ghost.
The play, which has seen life off Broadway and in the West End, divides itself into the four ages of celebrity: “Who is Capote?” “Get me Capote!” “Get me somebody like Capote!” and “Who is Capote?”
Each season has its savour.
But it is the details which reveal this perfectionist man: did you know, for example, that his surname was in fact Persons? That he is the posh boy who comes to visit in To Kill a Mocking Bird? Or that Gore Vidal called his death a “good career move”? Kingdom is full of little insights like these, which catch you up and hold you in his spell.
- 1 Pub transformed into 'breathtaking' family home for sale for almost £1m
- 2 Distraught Norwich City fan 'lost £98k in football betting site collapse’
- 3 Items from Lidl and Sainsbury's recalled over health and safety concerns
- 4 Flood alert on the Broads due to high water levels
- 5 Man had cocaine hidden in car when stopped by police
- 6 Chef reopens historic Norwich coffee shop with roasts on the menu too
- 7 Man accidentally downloaded indecent images of children, court hears
- 8 Sale of council farm as part of 4,000 homes plan sparks controversy
- 9 Historic pub and restaurant to reopen after £150,000 investment
- 10 Here are the new Covid travel rules which begin today