Top ballet company returns to Lowestoft
David LennardOne of the world's top ballet companies is set to return to Lowestoft's Marina Theatre early next year. February 20 will see the long awaited return of the Moscow City Ballet and Orchestra.David Lennard
One of the world's top ballet companies is set to return to Lowestoft's Marina Theatre early next year.
February 20 will see the long awaited return of the Moscow City Ballet and Orchestra and the visit is a major honour for the 750 seat venue, which only last week announced an extension to its prestigious residency with the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra.
In early 2003 the Marina first secured a visit from the Moscow City Ballet and the critical acclaim and rapturous applause that followed enabled Britain's most easterly theatre to attract a host of star names, international opera companies and speciality acts from all over the world.
Marina manager Martin Halliday said: 'I am delighted to confirm that after an absence of several years the Moscow City Ballet have agreed to return to the Marina stage early next year and present performances of both The Nutcracker and Swan Lake. The return of such a prestigious company is a wonderful addition to our winter season and their return to Lowestoft is made even more special in that a company of this calibre usually only appears in major cities.'
You may also want to watch:
The company was formed in 1988 by the distinguished Russian choreographer Victor Smirnov-Golovanov, who will be producing both performances.
The Nutcracker is being performed on Sunday and Monday, February 20 and 21, nightly at 7.30pm.
- 1 Extent of Norwich Prison Covid outbreak revealed
- 2 Village care home confirms coronavirus outbreak
- 3 Tributes to 'Winkle' - the legendary landlord who broke the mould
- 4 'Sounded like my roof was coming off': RAF jet sonic boom heard over city
- 5 Mansion for sale for £2.5million with helicopter pad
- 6 Town clerk sacked following months of controversy
- 7 Escape to the Country names 'north Norfolk's seaside capital'
- 8 Flood alerts across Norfolk ahead of expected rain
- 9 New drive-thru McDonald's to create 65 jobs
- 10 Police concerned for welfare of missing 14-year-old girl
Tchaikovsky's rousing score, sumptuous sets and glorious costumes make for an unforgettable production of The Nutcracker. Favourite characters such as the Mouse King, Nutcracker Prince and the doll bring to life a strange and magical world.
Swan Lake is being performed on Tuesday, February 22 at 2.30pm and 7.30pm.
Full details of the Moscow City Ballet's return to the east coast will be revealed in the Marina's forthcoming new season brochure available from mid September.