The Sixteen by Candlelight
MICHAEL DRAKE Norwich Cathedral (Norfolk and Norwich Festival event)
Norwich Cathedral (Norfolk and Norwich Festival event)
It is to be expected that a festival with such a wide reputation would open with class, and one cannot aspire much higher - certainly in the field of choral music - than this mixed voiced choir with international credentials. The Sixteen is becoming a firm favourite in our city and last night it continued its nationwide 2006 Choral Pilgrimage of “inspiring music in glorious buildings” - and there could hardly have been a better introduction than that.
At the heart of the programme of Renaissance music by the Spanish master composer of polyphony was Thomas Luis de Victoria's Requiem of 1605. Conducted by its founder Harry Christopher, the choir now has 18 voices but they still sing with extraordinary unity and vocal precision. The balance of the ensemble is quite perfect and the Requiem - as well as being full of the most exhilarating vocal sounds - was an emotional experience. The whole was always dynamic with its rhythmatic changes, and particularly interesting for its plainsong introductions and changes of mood in the quiet Kyrie compared with a quite explosive Sanctus, for example.
The first half of the programme contained a number of antiphons and motets.
Under the expressive direction of Christopher, every musical change and nuance was undertaken seamlessly, yet retaining a spontaneity and communication with the full audience.
- 1 EXCLUSIVE: US tycoons in Norwich City investment talks
- 2 Man claims supermarket fuel was contaminated as he reveals £200 repair bill
- 3 M&S to close 32 stores as part of move away from town centres
- 4 Broads Authority moves to prosecute pub over caravans - again
- 5 Scammers targeting Norfolk homes with fake parcel deliveries
- 6 Norwich pub selling out on Sundays with new head chef's roast dinners
- 7 Heavy delays on major Norfolk road after crash
- 8 Revealed: Your favourite fish and chip shop in Norfolk
- 9 Where you can see the Red Arrows over Norfolk this weekend
- 10 Soldier from Norwich jailed over rape of girl
All glorious indeed and an inspiring opening to the festival.