The History Boys
Tony CooperNorwich Theatre RoyalTony Cooper
Norwich Theatre Royal
Alan Bennett's semi-autobiograph-ical play loses none of its weight and appeal since I first saw it at the National six years ago.
His writing really bites and directly hits the mark in this hugely entertaining new production by Theatre Royal, Bath, marvellously directed by Christopher Luscombe with Janet Bird's realistic and striking set fully equipped with a revolving stage as illuminating as the play itself.
And one of the play's most poignant lines - delivered by James Byng as Posner - exemplifies it: 'I'm Jewish. I'm homosexual, I'm small and I come from Sheffield (close to Bennett's home town of Leeds) - I'm stuffed!' Well, something like that!
Sheffield also happens to be the play's setting with the scenario following a bunch of history pupils of the fictional boys' school, Cutlers' Grammar, preparing for their Oxbridge entrance examinations under the guidance of a trio of teachers of differing styles.
Not to be missed!
- 1 Four vehicles, including lorry, involved in 'serious crash' on A1067
- 2 'Torrid time' as insurance giant Marsh quits city centre
- 3 Motorcyclist in 30s dies in three-vehicle crash on A146
- 4 Man dies after getting into difficulties in UEA Sportspark pool
- 5 First look at the new Scandi-style homes coming to a Breckland village
- 6 Family pub and restaurant opens outdoor pool to cold water swimmers
- 7 'It is really sad': End of an era as popular pub landlords call time
- 8 Serial beggar jailed for 12 weeks after breaching Criminal Behaviour Order
- 9 Schools in Norfolk face classroom closures due to coronavirus
- 10 Tribute paid to much-loved dad who died in cycling accident
t The History Boys runs to Saturday, May 29, nightly at 7.30pm, with matinees on Wednesday and Saturday at 2.30pm. Box office: www.theatreroyalnorwich.co.uk or 01603 630000.