The Bewick Quartet
King's Lynn Festival Fringe: London Road Methodist Church, King's Lynn
Over the past three years the Bewick Quartet has become an established part of the King's Lynn Festival fringe with their annual concert at London Road Methodist Church.
Taking their name from the Bewick Swans which winter at Welney where the quartet is based, they presented a varied and ambitious programme of pieces well-known and not so well-known.
Opening with two movements from Vivaldi's Four Seasons they progressed through items by Mozart, Mancini, Beethoven and Tchaikovsky to Shostakovich.
They are to be applauded for tackling complex works such as Mozart's Quartet in D but I cannot help feeling that they were more at home with some of the lighter pieces such as the theme from Schindler's List and Moon River by Henry Mancini as in the heavier pieces the intonation was not good and pitch suspect at times.
Having said that the Waltz Of The Flowers from the Nutcracker and Shostakovich's Romance from The Gadfly were well received, as was their encore of Bach's Air On A G String.
All proceeds from the concert went to National Children's Homes.
- 1 People are driving for hours to visit this loaded fries and doughnut kiosk
- 2 Holiday Inn to become 'care hotel' to help struggling hospitals
- 3 Woman in 40s airlifted to hospital after suffering medical emergency
- 4 One of East Anglia's largest property builders is sold to investment firm
- 5 Meet the new team behind revamped village pub
- 6 Obituary: Doctor, and son of Norwich's recycling empire founder, dies aged 69
- 7 War-time bomb lay dormant for 80 years before exploding under fishing boat
- 8 One person taken to hospital after three-car crash on A47
- 9 'We will all miss him': Poignant tributes paid to 'brilliant' solicitor
- 10 City weigh up Hugill's next move