Thank You For The Music
RICHARD PARR King's Lynn Arts Centre
A taste of the West End was brought to King's Lynn in this cabaret evening featuring West End stars Alexandra Jay and Nigel Lilley.
The vivacious Miss Jay, who is starring in Mama Mia in the West End, appeared at the centuries-old venue with two local boys – David Thaxton, currently studying opera singing in Wales, and Nigel Lilley, who has been musical director for musicals such as Les Miserables in the West End and abroad.
The fine voice of Mr Thaxton lent itself to a selection of songs, including the soliloquy from Carousel, Empty Chairs and Empty Tables from Les Mis and I Remember by Stephen Sondheim.
After the interval, the sparkling Miss Jay endeared herself to the audience with a selection of well-known songs including, Dancing Queen from Mama Mia, the title song from Cabaret, a beautifully sung interpretation of From a Distance, the enchanting Dear Aunt Alice and a lovely slow version of the Long and Winding Road.
The soloists were accompanied by Mr Lilley's skilful piano playing, who also directed the three-piece backing band.
- 1 All-you-can-eat Chinese buffet at Riverside closes
- 2 Norfolk deli owner suffers severe spinal injuries in Ibiza diving accident
- 3 Driver died in crash with tractor after misjudging corner on rural road
- 4 Revealed: Where dangerous parasite has been reported in Norfolk
- 5 Man in hospital with life-threatening injuries after crash in north Norfolk
- 6 Man admits hiding camera to film 14-year-old girl in shower
- 7 Much-loved dungaree brand to open one of only three UK stores in Norwich
- 8 Two Norfolk hotels named among the most romantic in the country
- 9 Bid to build five industrial units in Norfolk village
- 10 Possible foot and mouth disease case investigated at pig farm
It was a thoroughly enjoyable evening of cabaret and the performers were clearly enjoying being in such a historic venue bringing the West End to West Norfolk.