Thank You For The Music
RICHARD PARR King's Lynn Arts Centre
A taste of the West End was brought to King's Lynn in this cabaret evening featuring West End stars Alexandra Jay and Nigel Lilley.
The vivacious Miss Jay, who is starring in Mama Mia in the West End, appeared at the centuries-old venue with two local boys – David Thaxton, currently studying opera singing in Wales, and Nigel Lilley, who has been musical director for musicals such as Les Miserables in the West End and abroad.
The fine voice of Mr Thaxton lent itself to a selection of songs, including the soliloquy from Carousel, Empty Chairs and Empty Tables from Les Mis and I Remember by Stephen Sondheim.
You may also want to watch:
After the interval, the sparkling Miss Jay endeared herself to the audience with a selection of well-known songs including, Dancing Queen from Mama Mia, the title song from Cabaret, a beautifully sung interpretation of From a Distance, the enchanting Dear Aunt Alice and a lovely slow version of the Long and Winding Road.
The soloists were accompanied by Mr Lilley's skilful piano playing, who also directed the three-piece backing band.
- 1 'It's not even that short' - schoolboy, 14, put in isolation due to haircut
- 2 'Red-and-white spray paint doesn't count' - three danger lorries stopped
- 3 Norfolk man found drunk at wheel twice in less than a month
- 4 'We offered £20k over and still lost out': Frantic housing market revealed
- 5 38 Norfolk schools and university named in students' accounts of sex abuse
- 6 Man denies causing death by careless driving on A47 in Norfolk
- 7 Norfolk set for dry week with temperatures to rise
- 8 Why your phone might warn you of a 'terror attack' today
- 9 'Second time this year' - Armed police called to Norwich street
- 10 Two Norfolk restaurants in top five 'secret' places to eat on English coast
It was a thoroughly enjoyable evening of cabaret and the performers were clearly enjoying being in such a historic venue bringing the West End to West Norfolk.