Teams sought for dragon boat festival
Alasdair McGregorColourful dragon boats are to take to the water again in Oulton Broad this May to raise money for a children's hospice charity.Alasdair McGregor
Colourful dragon boats are to take to the water again in Oulton Broad this May to raise money for a children's hospice charity.
The East Anglian Dragon Boat Festival will be held on May 10 at Nicholas Everitt Park and now the hunt is on for corporate teams to battle it out over a 200m course in front of thousands of spectators.
Last year's event raised about �30,000 for East Anglia's Children's Hospices (EACH) and organisers hope for an even bigger return in 2009, with more than 50 crews expected to take part.
Carl Brooks, corporate fund-raiser for EACH, said: 'We are very excited to be nominated charity of the East Anglian Dragon Boat Festival again this year. The money raised at the festival will go towards one-to-one nursing care and support that is so vital to local children and their families.'
You may also want to watch:
Crews of between nine and 11 people are provided with the dragon boats and racing equipment, and are guaranteed a minimum of three races.
Carol Lester, director of organisers Gable Events, said: 'The festival was a sell-out last year and we expect it to be as popular as ever this time around, so we recommend teams to get their entries in early to guarantee a place.'
- 1 Norfolk's first mass Covid vaccination centre to open in food court
- 2 Stunning images capture Cromer in the snow
- 3 'Anti-social rider' has quadbike seized in the snow
- 4 Floral tributes left to driver killed in A148 crash
- 5 Jailed in Norfolk: Burglars, domestic abuse and threats to kill
- 6 Driver escapes serious injury after 4x4 flips onto roof
- 7 Norfolk wakes up to snow with more expected to fall
- 8 Are you in our Norfolk school photos from the 1970s?
- 9 IN PICTURES: The businesses still going strong in lockdown
- 10 Groundworks start at site of new McDonald’s restaurant
For further information and an entry form, visit the festival website at www.dragonboatfestivals.co.uk/eastanglia or call Gable Events on 01780 470718.