Stars in drama classic
Sir Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart - both renowned Shakespearean actors at Stratford-upon-Avon and in the West End - head the cast of Samuel Beckett's Waiting for Godot playing Norwich Theatre Royal this week.
Sir Ian McKellen and Patrick Stewart - both renowned Shakespearean actors at Stratford-upon-Avon and in the West End - head the cast of Samuel Beckett's Waiting for Godot playing Norwich Theatre Royal this week, nightly at 7.30pm until Saturday April 11, with matinees on Wednesday/Saturday at 2.30pm.
The pair first worked together in Tom Stoppard's Every Good Boy Deserves Favour for the RSC in 1977 and more recently in the X-Men film trilogy as Magneto and Professor X respectively.
Each of them has established their own iconic screen persona as Gandalf in The Lord of the Rings and as Star Trek's Jean-Luc Picard.
When Godot exploded on to the London stage 50 years ago it shocked as many people as it delighted.
There had never been a play like it. The scenario surrounds a couple of tramps clowning around, joking and arguing, repeating themselves, as they wait through one day and then another, waiting for the mysterious Godot.
The cast also includes Simon Callow as Pozzo and Ronald Pickup as Lucky.
- 1 Green light for park and ride, drive throughs and offices near Norwich
- 2 Weather warning as thunderstorms set to hit Norfolk
- 3 'We will always miss you' - tributes to QEH pharmacist who died in A47 crash
- 4 Police called to 'altercation' between pupils at Norfolk school
- 5 Tractor stopped on A11 found to have faulty brakes
- 6 Norfolk holiday cottage business sold to a leading lettings agency
- 7 'It's just not viable anymore' - Pub near Great Yarmouth closes
- 8 Fears over town gridlock as years of A11 improvement works begin
- 9 'Blood rain' could fall this week as thunderstorms move in
- 10 Long delays after person cut out of car on A1065
t Performances are sold out, but for details of any returns call the box office on 01603 630000.