Spitfire will be star at air show
CELIA WIGG A wartime Spitfire with a noble RAF history will be the star attraction at Old Buckenham's annual air show in June.
A wartime Spitfire with a noble RAF history will be the star attraction at Old Buckenham's annual air show in June.
fighter plane flew 40 missions with the RAF's 16 Squadron during the second world war, and will be featured alongside other historic aircraft.
in aid of the East Anglian Air Ambulance, the show has gone from strength to strength and is now in its fourth year.
owner Paul Layzell said: "We are still finalising our event for 2005, but the thousands who attended last year can be sure we will have a day that simply cannot be missed.
"It will be the first time we have attracted a Spitfire, an indication of the growing importance of the event. Maurice Hammond's Norfolk-based P-51 Mustang, Janie, is also confirmed for June, together with another P-51 Mustang, Big Beautiful Doll, flown by Rob Davis.
- 1 'Absolute insanity' - Village' in massive backlash to homes plan
- 2 The most beautiful places to live in Norfolk - according to estate agents
- 3 East Norfolk road closed with firefighters at the scene
- 4 Eight dogs up for adoption at a Norfolk rehoming centre
- 5 'I listen to science': City folk hit back at anti-vax protests
- 6 Emergency services at scene of crash near A47 in Norwich
- 7 Mum describes heartache year on from daughter's tragic death
- 8 Builder of 15 years puts down tools and opens smokehouse restaurant
- 9 'Heartbroken' pet owner thanks community after missing dog found dead
- 10 Fire destroys roof of Norwich home
"In addition to these superb, historic and legendary second world war aircraft, the show will also feature some of the most extreme aerobatic aircraft, flown by some of the finest pilots on the UK air show scene."
Layzell said there would be a wide variety of ground displays, and new participants were welcome to join them in raising funds for an "excellent cause".
has developed the former wartime American bomber base into one of the finest recreational airfields in the region, and the air show, on Sunday, June 26, is a highlight of the region's flying calendar.